Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lighting matches with a blueray.

Eku

I tryed to light a red headed match with my phr at 115ma but I had to have it on a tripod, then colour the match head black and focus it to a pin-point and upclose and it took a long time I also cut the back out of my aixiz arylic.

What am I doing wrong?

I see tons of videos lighting matches with a blueray super fast but mine is really slow!

You need to be wearing safety goggles to be able to get the beam
to a pinpoint...
I have a PHR803T Blu-Ray in an Aixiz running at 50mW that can burn
the wood of a clothes pin... :cool:

Jerry

well it may just be a very inefficient diode, i now have reliable burning blu-ray but it took me 5 phr diodes to get :p

daguin

Eku said:
I tryed to light a red headed match with my phr at 115ma but I had to have it on a tripod, then colour the match head black and focus it to a pin-point and upclose and it took a long time I also cut the back out of my aixiz arylic.
What am I doing wrong?
I see tons of videos lighting matches with a blueray super fast but mine is really slow!

Are you sure it's putting out 115mW?  Do you have an LPM?  What components did you use to build it?

Are you sure it's really focused?  Do you have goggles to really see how small the spot is?  The focused spot of a violet laser is extremely small.  The "blaze" of the light makes it impossible to actually see the spot without goggles.

Both the match and the laser MUST be held steady.  The spot on the violet is so small that minor movement can cause the spot to move around enough to not really heat one place up quickly enough.

There are also some tricks to help make the matches easier to ignite, but if you are truly getting a focused 115mW, you should not need to use them.  

I have lit a red match with only 35mW of violet light.  I can light pastel colored matches with 110mW of violet

Peace,
dave

Hey Dave ... I think he said 115mA... ;)
But still should put out 70-90mW.. if his LD current test was done
properly with a half decent DMM...

Jerry

daguin

lasersbee said:
Hey Dave ... I think he said 115mA... ;)
But still should put out 70-90mW.. if his LD current test was done
properly with a half decent DMM...

Jerry

Ooops! :-[

However, it should still light a match at 70mW. The questions remain valid. For example, if he is using a 9V battery and a linear driver, it could be sagging well below 70mW. Also, if it isn't really getting focused, then all bets are off ;)

Peace,
dave

As to your blu-ray ecks you could always get another one? Also you could send it to a willing reputable member here to do test its power for you. Goggles would be a huge help because otherwise it's impossible to get it perfectly focused besides that, I'd get another one. Check out the Buy/sell section here. If you can get one that does close to 200mW you will be VERY happy then.

daguin said:
However, it should still light a match at 70mW. The questions remain valid. For example, if he is using a 9V battery and a linear driver, it could be sagging well below 70mW. Also, if it isn't really getting focused, then all bets are off ;)

Peace,
dave

I doubt has any clue what you writing about though Dave. ;) Education... (for me) what's a linear driver? :-[

Eku

Its a flexdrive with 3 aaa's and I focused into a pinout tried with a red and a black match and I used goggles with it to focus it!

Whats going on ?!

I've made stuff smoke with well focused 5mw red, green, and violet lasers :cool: