Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Liconix 4230 HeCd

daguin

Those that have been around awhile, know that I have been on a quest for 442nm gas-laser, goodness. I have spent quite bit of money and gone through many broken, or worn out components trying to get an HeCd laser that works. At the beginning of this winter break, the heavens finally opened for me :angel:

I now have three working Helium/Cadmium lasers (although I only have one completely working PSU). The lasers are Liconix 4230. The PSU's are Liconix 4240PS

Here is a quick shot of one of the lasers (they all look alike) and the PSU's.
IMG_1161.jpg

The laser housing is 40 inches long. The top PSU only has one side working. Once I get that working, someone else searching for HeCd goodness will have the opportunity for success.

Here is the inside of the laser
IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Although this picture isn't focused very well, the color of the plasma and the laser light is pretty accurate
IMG_1154.jpg

The obligatory beam shot (visualizer used)
IMG_1155.jpg

The beam is actually very nice. The upward "fuzz" is the result of my poor photographic skillz.

The measured output of the three lasers at ~20 feet
IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

For my next project . . .
An Infra-Red (1153nm) HeNe :bowdown:
IMG_1194.jpg

Peace,
dave

Ah, so it was you who got that HeNe. Glad you kept me from buying it, not enough room for me here as it is. Those HeCds are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. What're you going to be looking for for one of the heads and the other PSU, if you get it working that is?

daguin

Ah, so it was you who got that HeNe. Glad you kept me from buying it, not enough room for me here as it is.

The place that had it was local so I just drove down. While I was there the man said that he had another, that was broken, that I could have for a smile. The plug was ripped off of the laser, the PSU was missing the key , and the socket was damaged on the PSU. I just got it all hooked up with flying leads and jumpers. It works fine too :san:

The plasma exposure is about 28 inches long in these :drool:

I'll need to swap it over to Alden connectors and install a switch in place of the key. However, I'll have an extra of these available as well then ;)

Those HeCds are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. What're you going to be looking for for one of the heads and the other PSU, if you get it working that is?

I'll have to wait to see what the traffic will bear when it is ready. Who knows how long this will take me :whistle:

Peace,
dave

Good deal on that second HeNe, though it sounds somewhat abused, but if it lases, who cares? Are the mirrors on these external as well?

daguin

Good deal on that second HeNe, though it sounds somewhat abused, but if it lases, who cares? Are the mirrors on these external as well?

Yes. I need to get a good IR indicator card to begin the adjustments (after I clean them up and get the broken parts fixed ;) )

Gotta love used gas lasers -- They are a whole 'nother hobby

Peace,
dave

Dave,

I've been looking for a working HeCd for quite a while now... I have an outdoor shed full of a few broken ones.

(Unsure of how to dispose of cadmium properly in my county -- they've been kind of vague on it. Next county over though, no problem. Have to show proof of residency, though.)

Is there any way I could call "dibs" on the first complete HeCd setup you may end up having for sale?

Last edited:
I always liked the HeCd lasers for the rare indigo glow of the beam. We can get indigo colour with our 445's but the beam specs will never come close. Oh, and the cool factor of a gas laser tube never gets old for me. :D

That is sweet for sure. I eyed these lasers for a bit, but found like you I could find the heads but not PSU's!
Score for you!
I also see in the last photo you won the IR laser that was on Ebay...I was really looking at that one, but just ordered a Argon and am waiting for that in the mail.
Good luck and Have fun.:beer:

daguin

Dave,

I've been looking for a working HeCd for quite a while now... I have an outdoor shed full of a few broken ones.

(Unsure of how to dispose of cadmium properly in my county -- they've been kind of vague on it. Next county over though, no problem. Have to show proof of residency, though.)

Is there any way I could call "dibs" on the first complete HeCd setup you may end up having for sale?

I would hate to actually add up how much money I have spent and how many broken or dead tubes I have seen in this quest. I still have three 4210's and three 4200PS's that I am hoping to get one working laser from :whistle:

Luckily, I live close to a major urban center. We frequently have hazardous waste collection sites set up around the city

I can make myself a note about contacting you, but I would not guarantee that I will remember it when I finally get this repaired.

I always liked the HeCd lasers for the rare indigo glow of the beam. We can get indigo colour with our 445's but the beam specs will never come close. Oh, and the cool factor of a gas laser tube never gets old for me. :D

I fully understand that sentiment. That "cool factor" is the reason I have gas lasers at all. They are a pain in the a$$, but the cool outweighs the pain.

That is sweet for sure. I eyed these lasers for a bit, but found like you I could find the heads but not PSU's!
Score for you!
I also see in the last photo you won the IR laser that was on Ebay...I was really looking at that one, but just ordered a Argon and am waiting for that in the mail.
Good luck and Have fun.:beer:

These 4240PS's are more rare in the wild than a captured Bigfoot.

With the addition of this IR HeNe, my collection of HeNe's is complete. As an added bonus, these are long and have the plasma exposed :drool:

Peace,
dave

HeCds are beautiful no doubt.. and yours look quite nice Dave (congrats!), but at the risk of being labeled "uncool" I will say that I've unloaded every gas laser I've ever owned as of a couple days ago.. I just ran out of room in my shop, and the fact that I can get nearly every color of the rainbow (not pure wavelengths or course) using lasers that run off of 5-12VDC at .1-10A was the final kicker that got me to sell them all off.

Gas lasers are king when it comes to beam quality and stability using a simple cavity, but unless you're talking about HeNes or other sealed-mirror designs the reliability can be lacking. not to mention the power draw can often be horrendous compared to most solid-state/semiconductor options.

I guess for me, the lousy beam quality and lack of visible elements like plasma glow etc. make diodes and many DPSS lasers seem boring, but the ease of use, reliability and low power consumption make up for it IMO anyway.

Just injecting an alternative viewpoint into the discussion.. to each their own of course.

daguin

HeCds are beautiful no doubt.. and yours look quite nice Dave (congrats!), but at the risk of being labeled "uncool" I will say that I've unloaded every gas laser I've ever owned as of a couple days ago.. I just ran out of room in my shop, and the fact that I can get nearly every color of the rainbow (not pure wavelengths or course) using lasers that run off of 5-12VDC at .1-10A was the final kicker that got me to sell them all off.

Gas lasers are king when it comes to beam quality and stability using a simple cavity, but unless you're talking about HeNes or other sealed-mirror designs the reliability can be lacking. not to mention the power draw can often be horrendous compared to most solid-state/semiconductor options.

I guess for me, the lousy beam quality and lack of visible elements like plasma glow etc. make diodes and many DPSS lasers seem boring, but the ease of use, reliability and low power consumption make up for it IMO anyway.

Just injecting an alternative viewpoint into the discussion.. to each their own of course.

Aye. "Lasers" are more than one single hobby ;)

It would be very difficult to be truly active in ALL variations/forms of this hobby.

Peace,
dave

The place that had it was local so I just drove down. While I was there the man said that he had another, that was broken, that I could have for a smile. The plug was ripped off of the laser, the PSU was missing the key , dave

i've got a brand new 3position key switch with key. if you are interested, i can bring it next time i see you. just shoot me a text before hand.

diachi

Nice one! I miss my HeCd, even though it was UV. Would love a 442 version.

Anyway, if you can still contact Jason he should know these like that back of his hand after the problems he had with his!

Have fun! :D