Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LF >1W 405nm

joescj

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a LF >1W 405nm laser.

Requirements:

Copper Heat sink
Silver/Black/Grey Host
Adjustable focusing lens
G-1
2-Cell host, the smaller the better!
duty cycles 30-60s On/Off
Thumb on/off switch preferable
Some type of warranty. :wave:
Or if you happen to have an Ehgemus 14670 pen host I might take that.

No Batteries (I have plenty)

Also,
I would like the dot to be pretty :)

Let me know prices, :thanks:
Joescj

Last edited:

joescj

I was just thinking about that. I really have no idea about that piece of hardware and was about to edit that. Suggestions?

rhd

I was just thinking about that. I really have no idea about that piece of hardware and was about to edit that. Suggestions?

I've seen like three 1W+ 405 builds here in the last year. They're not common. It takes finding a really efficient diode, and 12x 405s aren't nearly as high-volume as the 445s are at this stage. Because of this, people aren't exactly stumbling upon 1W+ 405s every day.

Honestly, you'd probably have to pay someone a pretty penny to do this build for you, because 405 diodes ARE going to die in the process. If you're dead set on this, you'll probably want to pay a builder to order like 5pcs of 405nm diodes from laser-xh, and give them instructions to push the diodes to near-death current. Assuming one survives (and I think it would - you'd probably find one or two that could handle 1W, out of five), you'd have the builder build it into a host.

You're definitely looking at needing a G1 to hit that output. Driver is sort of irrelevant here. I wouldn't bother with a boost if it was me. If I were you, I'd use a 2x cell setup and go buck or linear. If the size of a 2x cell is off-putting, then you've got another problem - because a 12X at 1W creates a lot of heat, and you need at least a somewhat decent sized host to handle that.

Last edited:

joescj

Awesome response, thank you!

I will add in 2-cell to my description. G-1 it is. I know host size is probably something I'm going to have to compromise on :(

How long do you think a good 405 diode will last, used correctly of course.

Thanks again :)

rhd

I don't think you can count on it lasting too long at 1W+ honestly.

That's really death territory.

jakeGT

I'm looking for a >1W 405nm laser.

How long do you think a good 405 diode will last, used correctly of course.

A good 405 diode could last you years

But IF you even find one capable of doing >1W it won't last long... At all

I would wait until we have diodes capable of sustained power at 1W first... Like rhd said there's only been a few of those that we know of so far.

rhd

^ What Jake said.

A 1W+ 405nm diode might last you a year, might last you a month, might last you 15 minutes. I've had two that could reach 1W+, and one of them died recently. The other is still ok, but many died in the process of finding those two.

DJNY

You should be also fine with a 800mW 405nm. There won´t be much of a difference in visibility and burning between 800mW and 1000mW of 405nm.

But you´re going to get a laser that has a MUCH BETTER chance to survive for several months, maybe years depending on how (often) you use it.

Builders I can recommend are Lazeerer, DTR - I had VERY smooth transactions with both of them in the past. Also rhd is an equal option, but never had any dealings with him (yet) :)

joescj

You should be also fine with a 800mW 405nm. There won´t be much of a difference in visibility and burning between 800mW and 1000mW of 405nm.

But you´re going to get a laser that has a MUCH BETTER chance to survive for several months, maybe years depending on how (often) you use it.

Builders I can recommend are Lazeerer, DTR - I had VERY smooth transactions with both of them in the past. Also rhd is an equal option, but never had any dealings with him (yet) :)
Thanks for the advice DJNY!

I've dealt with both DTR and Lazeerer and they provide great products and service! My 800mW 405nm was built by DTR and my 1600mW 445nm was by Lazeerer :)

Maybe I will PM DTR to make me another.

Or if any one happens to have a >1W 405nm diode, that would save some time!

jakeGT

Just to reiterate.
Nobody has a handful of 1W 405 diodes laying around, IF people found/have 1W 405 diodes, u bet your butt they're keeping em.

I killed 2 at under 600mA and gave up. I had one doing 750mW, but it got stolen awhile back and the best I've been able to hit since is 675mW.

I'd be interet in buying one that hits 800mW though, if the price was reasonable.

jakeGT

I had one doing 820mW with a g-1 at 500mA. I never did push it any farther though, because I sold it to a member here. I believe it might have got close to the 1W mark, but definitely not over..