Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lens?

The diodes I got included the coated lens from the dlp projector. Is this good for anything? I have been messing around with that, and a wideband glass lens frame, but I can't find any combination that works. I realize that this is in the largest part, because I don't have even the foggiest clue wtf I am doing, any help here would be great.

In addition, what does "multimode" mean? What modes are there? I would greatly appreciate any help getting my head out of my butt (get the BIG crowbar....).

DrSid

Multimode means that the light inside the diode can resonate in more then one paths. Resulting beam will be wider, usually in one direction, as is also case with this 445nm diodes. It simply does not have round dot, and it is pretty hard to focus at a distance.
On the other hand such diode has more power. If you want better beam, you have to make the active region of the diode smaller .. block unwanted paths and allow only one 'mode' of resonation .. but by that you also limit the output.