Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lens Assembly

First off, I need to say that I am a total amateur with lasers. I've gained a WHOLE lot more respect for my Spyder III by reading as much as I can on this forum. Thank you all for that!

I am not sure if the issue that I have was caused totally by my lack of experience, or by poor manufacturing of the product.

I adjusting the lens to get better focus, but I ended up fully removing the adjusting ring. Once the ring was removed, ALL 3 of the glass lenses came out of the lens assembly.

I have cleaned them as good as I can, and put them back in.

However, as you can imagine, I have a few issues.

1. Should these glass lenses just basically "free float" inside of the lens assembly?

2. What orientation should the lenses go in?

I have the thickest first, convex (fat) end facing out. Followed by the middle thick lens (again, fat end out). Then, the thinnest lens.

I am worried that I do not have them in properly. The beam is very focused up close, but has a lot of "beam spillage" around the edge of the dot.

At longer ranges (a few feet), the beam gets very wide.

Could anyone please take a few minutes and help me out with some dumbed-down information on how I can properly put the lenses back in - and also how I can ensure that they stay where they need to stay?

Thank you very much!
Brent