Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Legal protection?

Hello, many of you with high powered 445nm lasers probably would use them to blind, or disorientate robbers, unwanted trespassers ECT. So, just like how you need a "Gaurd Dogs on Duty" sign to display the warning or you could get sued, I have made one for a laser. I currently have one on my side gate, in the front lawn grass, and on the other side gate. Do you think this would actually protect me from being sued if I blinded or damaged an intruders eyesight? Here is the link, i just ask that you don't take credit for this sign (even though its not that great). And if you do download it and want to use it, just change the street adress so it justifies what property to not trespass on. I have no problem with you using this.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS ON WHAT TO ADD OR REMOVE.:bowdown:

Attachments

• Tresspassing Notice.pdf
    330.3 KB · Views: 417

Hello, many of you with high powered 445nm lasers probably would use them to blind, or disorientate robbers, unwanted trespassers ECT. So, just like how you need a "Gaurd Dogs on Duty" sign to display the warning or you could get sued, I have made one for a laser. I currently have one on my side gate, in the front lawn grass, and on the other side gate. Do you think this would actually protect me from being sued if I blinded or damaged an intruders eyesight? Here is the link, i just ask that you don't take credit for this sign (even though its not that great). And if you do download it and want to use it, just change the street adress so it justifies what property to not trespass on. I have no problem with you using this.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS ON WHAT TO ADD OR REMOVE.:bowdown:

I wouldn't have it posted that you have a 1w laser since it is not actually legal. It might give somebody incentive to break into your house and steal it! Or give you unwanted attention.

Isn't it a 445? on your sign it says 443! and milliseconds is mis spelled.

Last edited:
Ya i know it says 443nm but the nm's always arent "exactly" accurate. And idk, if i hear something suspisious, i just grab my laser and investigate;). Its silent, quick, and small, unlike a gun

DTR

It is not considered a self defense item so I would assume you could post all the sign's you wanted and you would still loose a law suite.

It would be better to just shoot them with a gun. The dead are not likely to sue.:beer:

Hahaha good point. Ill just grab the shotgun with a mounted laser in case hes next to something valueble that i dont want to obliterate ;)

Ya i know it says 443nm but the nm's always arent "exactly" accurate. And idk, if i hear something suspisious, i just grab my laser and investigate;). Its silent, quick, and small, unlike a gun

A very good friend of mine is a judge in Idaho. I was told never wound anyone that breaks in to your house and if you do drag them back in and finish the job you started.

With a laser you might get both eyes if your lucky. But guess what does more damage a gun or a laser? If the intruder has a gun and you miss his eyes your going to get lead poisoning.

I have lasers and many guns, I am not going to use a laser to defend my self.

If you want quiet get a supressor(silencer) for your gun!

Last edited:

DTR

Hahaha good point. Ill just grab the shotgun with a mounted laser in case hes next to something valueble that i dont want to obliterate ;)

I guess you could blind them and then shoot them. It's like fish in a barrel after blinding them.:eg:

Last edited:
Look at this way. If you illegally own a gun, crossbow, flame thrower, and anything that can be called a weapon, and you injure somebody outside, you will be sued, and possibly arrested. Lasers at the powers we have then set to are illegal to take out of your house. Only when you are in danger, 'inside your house' are you OK to use whatever force you can to defeat the danger. As been said, that is why the cops tell you to drag the body indoors.

I never understand why people would choose to buy and use "halfway" measures rather than a real firearm. For example, a laser: you pull out your laser thinking you'll be some badass robber-zapper and as you're trying to train the beam on the assailant, you even put on your goggles so you can aim it properly. The robber gets spooked by the beam and your aiming-motion and caps your dumb ass.

The same thing with tazers: why would you want to own and use a tazer for self-defense? You get ONE shot with the tazer, and chances are you will miss. Once you miss you're at the mercy of whomever you shot at; they will not be happy that you tried to tazer them. Tazers have only one useful purpose, and that's for law enforcement to take down an unruly offender without having to resort to other means. They're not useful for self-defense, nor would a police officer use it for that purpose. Likewise, your "class IV" laser is an extremely lame and weak weapon for self-defense. Don't bother. At best you'll get sued for causing injuries to someone, at worse you'll get killed by a real weapon.

Toke

Your sign looks like a great way to attract unwanted attention.
I would go remove it right now.

I never understand why people would choose to buy and use "halfway" measures rather than a real firearm.

You must be from Texas, LOL. I dont know too many people that want the responsibility of firearm. Also most laws make it hard, and you have to have a good reason to carry.

I would take down the sign too and not attract attention. Using it to blind the suspect will get you thrown in jail for sure. Even the military are not allowed to do that, as it's prohibited by the Geneva Convention. Imagine what they would do to a civilian doing what the military are not legally permitted to do?

Just carry a gun and if the situation arises, shoot to kill; then he won't come back and sue you. Permits are very easy to get in many States these days.

The Laser used as a weapon though will actually get you in more trouble than the gun will, and is no where near as effective.

Stay Safe.

Toke

Imagine what they would do to a civilian doing what the military are not legally permitted to do?
Expanding bullets??
[/nitpick] :D

HIMNL9

Uhm, i don't use a laser for self-defense in my home, also if i have a pocket-size green flasher ..... but there are around a lot of sharp, or cutting (or sharp AND cutting, and sometimes also poisoned :p) items that can accidentally fly from me to the intruders ..... also, i have a lot of chemicals, some of them are dangerous and stored in high pressure sprayers, and is not my guilty if an intruder accidentally breath something that he don't have to breath (who said potassium cyanur ? :p) .....

..... and, just in case of accidents, i live less than 50 meters from the lake border :whistle: ..... :eg:

I use bird shot for short visits, and hollow points if they want to stay longer.
minigun.gif