Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LEDShoppe VIOLET!

I noticed this earlier today, while looking at lasers during my statistics class. Personally, I have a hard time believing it's as good as they say, but then again, their green lasers are also insanely cheap and they work fine. I was going to order some stuff from LEDshoppe soon, maybe I'll get one of these too.

I doubt it would be a complete fake, as LEDshoppe is generally trustworthy, and at $25, it's not a big risk.

oikos

wow nice find! thanx we'll see if it's up-to-spec LEDShoppe is good company :yh:

Just received both 532nm and 405nm (both in 50mW) today from this source if anyone is curious about beam pictures or has questions.

Just received both 532nm and 405nm (both in 50mW) today from this source if anyone is curious about beam pictures or has questions.

I ordered the 50mW 532nm, could you upload some pics or your opinions on it?

FrozenOver,

I'd be glad to. As opinions go, please understand I'm pretty new to all of this. I don't own an LPM nor have I run them through a gauntlet of tests.

As 'host' or aesthetics go, they look like your pretty standard pointers that one would acquire. I have photos of 3 that were received today. They are <5mW 532nm, <50mW 532nm, and <50mW 405nm.

As far as I know what to look for, in the very short amount of time that I've used them so far they did not appear to 'mode hop'.

Now then I hope it's allowed to put my photos in-line in this post. From what I've seen that's okay to do with this forum so here goes:

All 3 pointers after removal from packaging and battery installation:
ledshoppe1.JPG

Closeup of labels:
ledshoppe2.JPG

Spot comparisons:
ledshoppe3.JPG

Left to right the spots are from:
1) ~200mW 650nm (jerry rigged maglite soon to have an overhaul)
2) 50mW 532nm LED Shoppe
3) 5mW 532nm LED Shoppe
4) 50mW 405nm LED Shoppe

Side note: I've had some standard UV protective glasses that I purchased with an Inova X5 UV flashlight some years ago and they actually seem to completely remove the violet appearance from the 405nm beam as well as significantly dim the appearance of the beam overall.

Last edited:
I personally love LEDShoppe. I get all my LEDs from there and I have 2 of their 50mW green pointers. One was overspec averaging about 60mW and the other was a bit under averaging about 40mW. I may have to pick one of these up next time I buy from them.

-Tony

@vect0rx
Thanks for the small review and comparison pics. I got my 50mW 532nm a few days ago and its definitely worth it for the price. I may get the 50mW violet next and then see if i can DIY a red burning laser and see how that goes for me

I'm just doing a quick follow-up to this now that I have an LPM (Kenometer Pro).

FYI, I'm not using *brand new* alkalines, but they're fairly new and I am using the same set of batteries in each pointer as I attempt to do a quick 30sec measure on all three of these.

2) 50mW 532nm LED Shoppe -- 57mW peak; 49mW average
3) 5mW 532nm LED Shoppe -- 22mW peak; 18mW average
4) 50mW 405nm LED Shoppe -- 23mW peak; 20mW average

As you guys can see the 532nm 5mW is a bit over-spec and the 50mW 405nm is significantly under-spec. Having read about perception of wavelengths as well as 405nm-specific visual funnyness I might have gone on to assume this was much closer to the advertised 50mW but a quick metering was very telling.

-vect0rx

Last edited:
Also I'm wondering if the 405nm's diode could have gone dimmer on me since I originally received the pointer?

Going back to the same location where the original pictures were taken the 405nm actually looks dimmer than the photos above.

Guys: Like most of you, I've only had very positive experiences with LED Shoppe. I've purchased the 50mW (silver pen) and 20mW (keychain) green lasers and they work great. I was really surprised when they got the blue-violet laser so when I saw how cheap it was, I was skeptical as well...that said, I've always gotten great deals from LED Shoppe in the past with the greenies and was pleasantly surprised, so I decided to try it out with the blue-violet <50mW (just ordered two days ago, along with another 50mW greenie) . I'll let you know how it works out, although I'm pretty sure I'll be quite happy

Last edited:
Guys: Like most of you, I've only had very positive experiences with LED Shoppe. I've purchased the 50mW (silver pen) and 20mW (keychain) green lasers and they work great. I was really surprised when they got the blue-violet laser so when I saw how cheap it was, I was skeptical as well...that said, I've always gotten great deals from LED Shoppe in the past with the greenies and was pleasantly surprised, so I decided to try it out with the blue-violet <50mW (just ordered two days ago, along with another 50mW greenie) . I'll let you know how it works out, although I'm pretty sure I'll be quite happy

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I got my shipment the Friday before Labor Day (my second 50 Mw greenie and the 50 mW blue). I gotta tell you I was a tiny bit disappointed with the blue.....not because of anything wrong on the part of LED Shoppe, but just that in comparison to the green pointer (as everyone has clearly pointed out already in this forum), the blue beam is nowhere near as solid or bright. The point is a nice blue light and in a dark room that's a little dusty, you can see the beam, and like I said, the price was right, but for clubbing and that "wow" affect outside at night, the geenie is the way to go (for my needs, that is). :)

All in all, LED SHoppe is still the way to go.:eek: That said, I did notice that Tanga has a blue-wiolet laser on sale at its site today Tanga - Product of the Day for about $13, including shipping...I know nothing about it other than what the site says.