Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED's from mxdl mods?

so making lasers using the mxdl hosts seems to help me gain a number of good white LED's. anyone got suggestions on what i could mod these into so that they don't go to waste. they seem to be super bright and should not go to waste.

Benm

They are decent leds, but not top-notch... efficiency isn't what it should be today, so portable applications are out. Perhaps you can make something nice for xmas ;)

For halloween I had to make a coffin for dracula, when the door was opened he was down lit by white LEDs from flashlights, uplit with hi intensity red LEDs, and the outside of the coffin was lit by yellow LEDs which were driven so that they looked like candle light by making them flicker...photo shows work in progress.... It all worked very well :)

Attachments

• coffin01.jpg
    coffin01.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 194
theres actually a video on YouTube of a 500 LED flashlight with some cool features, maybe you could do something like that, lol

I'm not so sure about the 5W luxeons. I believe they come in two versions: four dies in parallel (1400mA, 3.4V) and another one with two dies in series x2 (700mA, 6.8V).

I guess that this one is using the four dies in parallel, 3.4V, 1400mA...

Anyway they both should handle 1000mA. Don't forget the heat sinking! ;)

Krutz

i have some leds left over too.
i would love to remove the plastic, then remove the phosphor-coating, and have a blue led, with more output than the original white! not sure how long it will survive, but if someone finds a solvent for the acrylic top? :)
blue array of death!

manuel

It doesn't get any brighter, the phosphor makes the blue light 4-5X as bright to begin with. But try it lol, sounds interesting.  ;D

Btw some of the luxeons are filled with soft silicone, and have a acrylic dome to protect it.  ;)

Krutz

ok, the perceived brightness will be less, but the lumens will be more. no, wait, the photons will be more :)
i have cheap noname 1w emitters here, and a few cree ones which i dont want to slaughter (yet). lets see what the cheap ones think about acetone :)
the crees seem to be full acrylic, q5 and r2 here.

manuel

FireMyLaser said:
It doesn't get any brighter, the phosphor makes the blue light 4-5X as bright to begin with. But try it lol, sounds interesting. ;D

Btw some of the luxeons are filled with soft silicone, and have a acrylic dome to protect it. ;)
yea the luxeons have a silicone diffuser on the LED module, so do CREEs, i haven't been able to closer inspect a CREE yet to see if its the exact same, and i don't have any that I'm willing to take of the silicone to see what happens

i put 3x10440's in my mxdl before (bout ~12v). it pretty much lit very dimly for a few seconds then died and just started smoking lol.

HumanSymphony said:
i put 3x10440's in my mxdl before (bout ~12v). it pretty much lit very dimly for a few seconds then died and just started smoking lol.
lol nice, so you made a smoke bomb? or a temporary fog machine? oh i got it, portable smoke for your lasers