Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED to RGB LED Mouse Mod Wiring?

Im in the mood for moding things recently and im getting a mini mouse for my laptop that has two LEDs built inside it in red and blue.

What I want to do is remove both LEDs and replace them both with slow RGB fading LEDs.

Now the hard part is how to wire them up? I would ideally need to use a two pin RGB LED which I can assume you can just replace the old LED with and it will change colour on its own instead of the 4 pin ones that require different voltges to change colour.

Where is the best place to buy two pin RGB LEDs and am I right in thinking I can just put something like 2V or whatever it needs through it and it will automatically colour change?

Sounds like a fun project, mouse pointer accuracy will fly right out the window though.

As the colours shift, the varying intensity will effect your mouse accuracy.

Sounds like a fun project, mouse pointer accuracy will fly right out the window though.

As the colours shift, the varying intensity will effect your mouse accuracy.

Theres a few on YouTube that appear to work, the light inside it is seperate to the red one used by the mouse so as long as none of the light leaks out through the bottom it should be fine.

Heres the mouse: USB OPTICAL SCROLL WHEEL MICE MOUSE FOR PC LAPTOP IN UK on eBay (end time 30-Jan-10 23:10:12 GMT)

and the youtube video of something similar to what im trying to do: YouTube - Mouse LED Mod

I don't know what the forward voltage is on the color changing LEDs, but if it is similar to the LEDs already in your mouse, then all you would have to do is replace the old ones with the two pin RGB LEDs. If not, then a resistor should work.

I don't know what the forward voltage is on the color changing LEDs, but if it is similar to the LEDs already in your mouse, then all you would have to do is replace the old ones with the two pin RGB LEDs. If not, then a resistor should work.

Ah great, it is as simple as I was hoping then.

I have the mouse on the way to me now, the LEDs on the other hand are a different story... anyone know of somewhere in the UK I can get them without paying something stupid like £5 for 1 LED?

The forward voltage is 3.5-4V, current 20-40mA for a colour changing RGB LED. You can't use a colour changing LED instead of the LED that illuminates the surface tho. RGB LEDs emit pulses of light that vary frequency and pulse width and it will make the mouse go nuts. You could be able to replace it with another fixed colour, I have done that with success.

The forward voltage is 3.5-4V, current 20-40mA for a colour changing RGB LED. You can't use a colour changing LED instead of the LED that illuminates the surface tho. RGB LEDs emit pulses of light that vary frequency and pulse width and it will make the mouse go nuts. You could be able to replace it with another fixed colour, I have done that with success.

I think you are thinking I want to replace the red LED thats on the bottom of the mouse. That LED is staying as it is, the mouse I bought has two seperate LEDs built inside it that illuminate the mouse through the clear plastic housing. It's those that I want to replace, not the red LED on the bottom.

Like the video below.

Trevor

I would like to encourage you to please not have a seizure when mousing.

That is all.

(The one in that video would definitely induce a headache for me.)

-Trevor

LEDshoppe might have some cheap RGB LEDs...and they ship worldwide for free IIRC.

The one in the video has different speeds, I only want a slightly slower fade than the one at the begining of the video.

My goal is to create a sort of mood light effect inside the mouse.

I think you are thinking I want to replace the red LED thats on the bottom of the mouse. That LED is staying as it is, the mouse I bought has two seperate LEDs built inside it that illuminate the mouse through the clear plastic housing. It's those that I want to replace, not the red LED on the bottom.

Like the video below.

I understand, but I thought I should mention it since you didn't mention it yourself. To get the mood effect search either on ebay or google for "slow rainbow LED" and see what you can find. The RGB LED in the video you posted is by far the most common pattern, but if you look you will find better ones.

These multicolor leds have a forward voltage of 3.6V, about the same as a blue LED. So in theory, this should work fine if you replace the blue LED with it. However the green led would only have a forward of 2.4 to 2.8v, which might not be enough to drive a second multicolor LED... You might want to leave the green as is, or otherwise, if you want to tinker with the SMD resistor next to the green LED and replace it with a smaller value (that's a lot of work and not guaranteed to succeed).

Good luck!

Robert

These multicolor leds have a forward voltage of 3.6V, about the same as a blue LED. So in theory, this should work fine if you replace the blue LED with it. However the green led would only have a forward of 2.4 to 2.8v, which might not be enough to drive a second multicolor LED... You might want to leave the green as is, or otherwise, if you want to tinker with the SMD resistor next to the green LED and replace it with a smaller value (that's a lot of work and not guaranteed to succeed).

Good luck!

Robert

Hmm ok, well it looks like it will be delivered on Wednesday. I will take it apart and check them all out with the multimeter then and decide where to go from there.

I can't understand why there are identical LEDs for sale in the US for $3 yet the same LEDs are £4+ in the UK.