Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Led Power Requirements

how much voltage and current would it take to power 1000 led's that require about 3.5 volts and aabout 30 ma of current?

Thank you in advance,
Mitch

well that depends, but any way you look at it, we're talking 105 watts of leds. wire them in parallel and it would be 30 amps at 3.5v

how much currrent does a wall outlet in the us output? and would there be a way to power such a thing with a wall adapter

also how much current does 10 rechargable AA batteries supply

rubberband said:
how much currrent does a wall outlet in the us output? and would there be a way to power such a thing with a wall adapter

also how much current does 10 rechargable AA batteries supply

Most outlets in the US are connected to a 15 amp circuit breaker - which at 120v is 1800 watts. I think your best bet would be to get a dc power supply and wire the leds in series/parallel arrangements. I would not recommend running the leds directly from line potential for risk of making a mistake and shock hazard

alright cool would you happen to know where i would be able to get a variable dc power supply with the capability of 30 ADC constant and 3.5 v?

RB --

Have you looked on ebay under power supplies ?? You have to do some research yourself. You also need to research problems running LED/LD devices in parallel without ballast resistors.

Mike

what do you mean like an of 1ohm resistors for every diode?
also i have been looking on ebay but a 30 A powersupply can get up to a couple grand and i don't really feel like dishing that out. also i can doo with a few less led's and less power i was just wondering if anyone know of an alternative cheaper sorce for somthing like that>

chimo

If you could elaborate on your requirement, it would help others help you.

There are many, many ways to do this, however, only a few will be practical.

What are you trying to achieve?

the best way would be to get a higher voltage psu (say 12-24v) and wire some leds in series so they can run directly off the power supply, then just keep adding series circuits in parallel to add more leds