Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED flashlights, what are they?

I recently saw a youtube video ad of a cree led flashlight. It had adjustable brightness(digital). Memory power settings, strobe, etc. etc. What are these flashlights and what are the best ones to buy as far as quality goes. I love lights of all kinds and these have got me intrigued.

Razako

I have a ton of these.  Just check dx and you'll find every type you could ever want.
Tell me what you're willing to spend and I'll give you a good recommendation.
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.901
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.925

I have this one and I absolutely love it.  I've had it for more than a year now without it breaking or having any issues.  It's got mode memory/tons of modes/great battery life with 3x rechargeable 18650's/you can run it at around 60% output until the batteries die without it overheating.  At 100% it puts out ~600ish lumens, but starts to overheat after around 5 minutes.  It also has various tricks that you can do like double tapping the tail cap quickly to switch it to strobe without needing to mess with the buttons.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11917

IMO it's better to pay a bit more for a quality one than one of the ultracrap/trustfail models.

Kenom

IL agree with coherent. There are a TON of led's out there that are just insanely bright. More bright than a bulb (HID excluded) like for example cree and soul semiconductors has a dual led (MCE and the P7) that put out an insane amount of light. I personally love how bright the P7 is. If I had the money and it wasn't so hard to do, I'd have a light with 3 p7's just like the one above!

Kenom

sorry that was a typo it does have 4 dies

Your going to get more ooomph from a host that has 2 18650's as the p7 draws up to 2.4A

a really good brand for compact flash lights is SUREFIRE. most models come in LED or Halogen. And they all carry a limited life time warranty. They are pricey though, so not good to use for laser hosts

thanks
michael

Kenom

OH sure the surefires are nice. But when it comes to features and brightness, I don't care for the surefire. It's like the Nike of flashlights. do you really need to spend $150 for a flashlight that you can get the same thing and is just as bright for $35? Hell No!! But there are the flashlight die hards that refuse to get a cheap as hell flashlight.

Kenom

on the left you'll see a regular Q5 Cree LED. in the middle is a basic minimag Luxeon LED and the right is a P7 SSC

Attachments

• DSC00409.JPG
    DSC00409.JPG
    530.5 KB · Views: 78