Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LD harvesting question - DVD burners - Whats the best??

Maros

Another Question for you guys. I've built one of these drives. I seem't to have one way or another killed the LD I was working with (I think I crushed the can with needle nose lol). Tomorrow I'm going to be looking for a couple burners to buy and harvest from, I just wanted to get some input on what the best type of burner would yield the best burning LD with that drive. Burner speeds? manufacturer?

I'd also like to throw in this little question (which may end up being a stupid Q) ... Does it need to be diode from a burner is this also true for Blu-ray??

Last edited:

The diode must be from a drive that can burn DVDs. CD burners use IR lasers. Unless you're really scared of harvesting a open can diode (it's not really that hard) I'd just order an LPC-815 sled from modwerx or the like.

As for BR diodes most are from BR burners with the exception being the PHR-803T which is from the xBox 360's HD-DVD drive which can be driven up to about 100mA or so. I ordered my PHRs, 6x, and 12x diodes from modwerx as well.

Kevlar

I'd second that. The LPC-815 is a good red diode. You can even order them extracted, or pressed in a AixiZ module if you're not ready to try extracting one.

One of my favorite sleds is the GGW-H20L. In that one sled there are 2 diodes. A 6X blu-ray that can take 180mA-190mA and a LCC red diode that can handle as much current as the LOC.