Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LCC Vs. LOC?

I am researching for my first red build. I have seen that there are two main types of red diodes that are used, the LPC and LCC diodes. I have heard the that the LPC's are the most powerful, but that doesn't explain why some use the LCCs from the GGW sleds. I need a little clarification.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

daguin

Re: LCC Vs. LPC?

I am researching for my first red build. I have seen that there are two main types of red diodes that are used, the LPC and LCC diodes. I have heard the that the LPC's are the most powerful, but that doesn't explain why some use the LCCs from the GGW sleds. I need a little clarification.

Thanks!!

LPC is a sled designation. It holds an LOC (Long Open Can) diode. You are correct about the source of the LCC (Long Closed Can) diodes.

The LOC and the LCC are virtually identical in practical use. I, personally, have pushed LCC's farther than LOC's, but YMMV

Peace,
dave

YMMV...? Ha No one seems to like reds anymore. What has greater potential? mW-wise? There doesn't seem to be a curve on red diodes like on 445s or 405s. The Goal is a high power burner. So what are they should I call the two diodes.

daguin

YMMV...? Ha No one seems to like reds anymore. What has greater potential? mW-wise? There doesn't seem to be a curve on red diodes like on 445s or 405s. The Goal is a high power burner. So what are they should I call the two diodes.

Sorry - YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. It implies that the results are not consistent enough to guarantee the statement

The 405nm and now the 445nm has drawn MUCH of the money and interest away from red hand held lasers. They are still HUGE in the projector/laser show portion of the hobby

The work on the LOC and the LCC is fairly old. You will have to search deeply to find actual graphs. You should be able to find recommended run currents in the diodes compilation thread (sticky) in the Tutorials board.

Peace,
dave

Re: GGW Vs. LPC?

Thanks dave. I am trying to decide what diode has a bigger potential.

Fixed title

Red is still one of my favorites. I would even rather play with a 240mW red than a 1W 445nm laser. I'm more into the beams and red has such a tight beam that you can shoot into eternity.

I've been wanting to build a new red to go with my blue.....
When it comes to LOC and LCC, i would jsut go with the better deal $ wise. they seems to be capable of about the same.

it's sad that everything went to HD and blu-ray. They don't really have a purpose for any stronger red diodes so we're stuck with these LOC and LCC diodes. I would of loved to own a 1W red pointer

daguin

Re: GGW Vs. LPC?

Thanks dave. I am trying to decide what diode has a bigger potential.

Fixed title

The LOC and the LCC are virtually identical in practical use. I, personally, have pushed LCC's farther than LOC's, but YMMV

Peace,
dave

Benm

I've worked with both diodes, and there is little difference. Perhaps one of the types could be pushed harder, but as long as you aim for reasonable life it doesnt matter much. It ends with 250 mW or so for a single diode, if you want significantly more, the only real option is combining the output of 2 (using PBS) or more (using knife edging).

Interested in red is by no means dead, but there simply haven't been any new diodes on the market for a few years. Their development died with the development in consumer DVD writers, and will only pick up if another mass market for red laser diodes is found (perhaps projectors).

jib77

I personally like the LCC because you get a 2 for 1 deal with the GGW sled. Also because it is closed can there is less chance of physical damage during the build ... I killed a LOC just by dropping it a couple of inches while getting it ready to press. :oops:

BTW my LCC red is my favorite laser.

Ok, Thanks everyone, I am gonna look for the cheapest place to buy a GGW sled.:)

Sorry Tikilaser but, what is the "Just listen to Dave..." Was I ever not listening. Sorry, I don't understand your logic in the many things you say.

Thanks Man! I need a LCC graph. Imma Look, but if you find one first lemme know.