Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LCC vs LOC-815

HEY GUYS

I'm looking at a Long Closed Can 20x Diode at Darklasers.

And I'm wondering if you guys would recommend it.

Darklasers says its not as good as the LOC-815, but the dot is less splotchy or splattery.

I was also wondering, do the leads on the LCC have the same polarity configuration as the LOC? I'd hate to burn another diode.:yabbmad:

thanks

daguin

HEY GUYS
I'm looking at a Long Closed Can 20x Diode at Darklasers.
And I'm wondering if you guys would recommend it.
Darklasers says its not as good as the LOC-815, but the dot is less splotchy or splattery.
I was also wondering, do the leads on the LCC have the same polarity configuration as the LOC? I'd hate to burn another diode.:yabbmad:
thanks

Do a search for "darklasers" in this forum and then run to another source.

Not only is he a proven thief, but he knows VERY little about lasers at all.

Peace,
dave

First, no 20x dvd burners have LCC IMO,
everything at 18x and above is LOC diode, and the difference in power is minimal, and in beam quality - none!

Yes the pin configuration is the same. All reds have the same pinout as far as I know.
I believe the LOC diodes can be pushed a little more. I think they can run a bit cooler. since they are exposed. The downside is that they are more delicate. even a small piece of dust or dirt can render them useless.

You would be better off purchasing from
Modwerx Home
http://hightechdealz.com/
StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store
All shop owners above, are also trusted members of LPF;)

rpaloalto, any reason for posting twice? :S
Yeah, modwerx and hightech deals are places you wanna be when buying laser parts!
I purchased from both, and they are excellent at their job!

BTW, I believe the crystal is somewhat identical in LCC and LOC, difference is, as you said, cooling , because there is very large diode chip base, which makes a diode a little more 'pushable' . That is why they appeer more powerfull IMO, but only by very small difference. I use LCC at 350 mA all the time, kickass!

rpaloalto, any reason for posting twice? :S
Yeah, modwerx and hightech deals are places you wanna be when buying laser parts!
I purchased from both, and they are excellent at their job!

BTW, I believe the crystal is somewhat identical in LCC and LOC, difference is, as you said, cooling , because there is very large diode chip base, which makes a diode a little more 'pushable' . That is why they appeer more powerfull IMO, but only by very small difference. I use LCC at 350 mA all the time, kickass!

What crystal are you referring to?

First, no 20x dvd burners have LCC IMO,
everything at 18x and above is LOC diode, and the difference in power is minimal, and in beam quality - none!

I have only seen the LCC in the GGW-drives, I am not sure what speed they are rated for DVD-burning though. 18x and below are short closed cans.

I just built a LCC using a Flex set to 410mA and it is putting out 290mW through a Merideth-"red" lens. Seams like a little less than the same set-up with a LOC. I guess I will see if it lasts.

daguin

I have only seen the LCC in the GGW-drives, I am not sure what speed they are rated for DVD-burning though. 18x and below are short closed cans.

I just built a LCC using a Flex set to 410mA and it is putting out 290mW through a Merideth-"red" lens. Seams like a little less than the same set-up with a LOC. I guess I will see if it lasts.

I run LCC's at 500mA in my personal lasers. I set modules with LCC's at 420-440mA routinely. IMNHO they are even hardier than LOC's.

Peace,
dave

I run LCC's at 500mA in my personal lasers. I set modules with LCC's at 420-440mA routinely. IMNHO they are even hardier than LOC's.

Peace,
dave

I just took out the MXDL you gave me to play :D The LCC is still kickin'

daguin

500mA - What would they be putting out with an acrylic lens? 300mw?

I don't remember now what it did when I first built it. I would have to test it again. It was probably <300mW. It is doing <350mW with Jayrob's Merideth for the aiXiz adaptation lens nut.

IIRC IgorT has/had an LCC running at 510mA. My diode showed a "knee" at 510mA. That is why I run it at 500mA

Peace,
dave

**EDIT @ Niko**
IMNHO = In My NEVER Humble Opinion

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses,

i'm hearing that some of you guys are running LCCs at 500ma?!

So, if this LCC i got from Darklasers works, then i can run full blast with a RCKSTR full range laser driver? which is like 450ma, right?

I didn't want to get the LOC cause its more fragile, but the LCC will get hotter faster unless it gets proper cooling. I was thinking of using a heatsink on an Axiz module that i pulled off my heli's tail motor.

I didnt know that darklasers is a thief, I mean, 9 bucks for a high power laser diode is hard to pass up.

daguin

Thanks for all your responses,
i'm hearing that some of you guys are running LCCs at 500ma?!
So, if this LCC i got from Darklasers works, then i can run full blast with a RCKSTR full range laser driver? which is like 450ma, right?
I didn't want to get the LOC cause its more fragile, but the LCC will get hotter faster unless it gets proper cooling. I was thinking of using a heatsink on an Axiz module that i pulled off my heli's tail motor.
I didnt know that darklasers is a thief, I mean, 9 bucks for a high power laser diode is hard to pass up.

Yes. You can run the Rkcstr full on with the LCC. However, you MUST heat sink it (like all reds) and observe a limited duty cycle. Neither diode gets hotter, "faster." Red diodes simply produce more heat than violet diodes.

$9 is about normal for one of these. I sell them for $10 (when I have them). Let's all just hope you get it AND that it is not "used" (pulled from a failed laser). His soldering skills are pretty ratty as well.

Research BEFORE purchase ;)

Peace,
dave