Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LCC from darklasers (cont.)

Thanks for all the replies from the other post

http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/lcc-vs-loc-815-a-46335.html

Well, after a loooooooong wait for the LCC 20x diode to arrive from darklasers, i finally got it!

but there's this metal casing on it and i need to know how to take it off safely.

look at the attachment... i'll be using an Axiz housing and glass lens and rckstr module.

Attachments

• DSCF0375.JPG
    DSCF0375.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 237

Matt --

There are many tutorials on here on how to harvest a diode. Have you shorted the leads together with a drop of solder for static protection?
Removal depends on the housing. Sometimes, you can grip some ears with cutters or pliars and twist. Sometimes I have to cut bits away first.

HMike

Personally I'd use a dremel or file to cut through about 3/4 of one edge of the heatsink, then use 2 pairs of pliers to snap it off.

jaycey

Jolly good diode you have there.

Theres a few methods of removal, my favourite now is filing or cutting with a small hacksaw a small groove on opposite sides of the heatsink.
When you 'nearly' reach the diode stop!
Now take 2 pairs of grips, grab the heatsink and twist...job done.

Do a search, theres a couple of videos showing how its done.

For that laser diode, twisting the heatsink with two pliers usually doesn't work until I cut at it with a hacksaw.

daguin

Use a small pair of nippers
nippers.jpg

You can also use diagonal cutters, but it is harder to do the needed cutting with them

Snip through the diode at the little "nubs" on the side aligned with the "notches" on the back of the diode. Snip through both sides

Here
6xdiodes-1.jpg

This will sometimes loosen the diode enough that you can simply pull it free. Sometimes, you will have to use the point of a knife or very small screwdriver to "pry" it up a bit before you can pull it free.

Make sure that you scrape off the "film" that is over the diode window (if it doesn't fall off on its own). That film will age quickly at high outputs.

Peace,
dave

Make sure that you scrape off the "film" that is over the diode window (if it doesn't fall off on its own). That film will age quickly at high outputs.

Peace,
dave

I seriously didnt know that the film needed to be scraped off.. ( learn something new every day )

Peace,
dave

Are you saying scrap off the coating over the glass piece on the LD? Or punch out the glass (if that's what it is) piece?

~Steve

It's i thin film of some sort, not glass. It comes off pretty easily. Reminds me of a thin round fish scale.

daguin

It's i thin film of some sort, not glass. It comes off pretty easily. Reminds me of a thin round fish scale.

Good way to put it. Sometimes it has red on the edge. It is placed on top of the diode. It does NOT touch the window. You can see it if you look. If you scrape your fingernail at the edge of the diode case, you will catch it. Also, as I said, sometimes it just falls off by itself during harvesting. Not all of them are stuck on firmly.

Peace,
dave

i used my dremel to grind both sides of the heat sink. then simply twisted it apart with two pliers. and about the film on top, i thought it was the protective glass lens!

i installed it on my driver and worked really great. and the beam was bright as well even at dusk. but unfortunately, when i put on the back enclosure of the axiz module, i must've shorted it. the diode shorted out:mad: and now, i have no clue where to get the LCC red diodes anymore cause darklasers are out of stock....on pretty much everything.

Oh I misread it. I thought you said to scrap/punch out the window of the closed can. Like below
800px-Diode_laser.jpg

Do you guys know where to purchase these LCC red diodes? i know you can extract them from a GGW 6x bluray sled, but i want just the red diode.

Make a thread in the BST section because there are always people looking to sell these things. I personally like LCCs because of their durability, but a lot of people prefer LOCs so they sell LCCs for cheap.