Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

lazerer.com

hmm some concern over a lithium ion that is completely depleted, if you do get it to charge, never let it deplete all the way, rechargeable batts have changed over the years they no longer have memory issues but the cells can go bad if they drop under 3v is my understanding. I may be full of BS though been awake for too long, so jump in if anyone can shed light on this :p

"Avoid deep discharge and instead charge more often between uses, the smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last." pulled that from wiki

Last edited:

i didnt let it drop, i recived like this. it is still charging, and getting pretty hot, but the longer it charges, the more stronger i will know my 100mw is going to be

they should not get hot, so be careful, it produces lithuim hydroxide and cobalt(5) when it overheats, the gas will make you feel like crap for a few hours with just one whiff, but is toxic.

Sometimes I get a new one and its bad, just to let you know, sometimes new batteries are just bad, I hope it works for you, just stay away from it if its hot, I have had big old lithium nickel hydroxide battery vent on me, it sucked, They don't make them anymore , but lithium cobalt hydroxide would suck just the same, make sure to never put them in a cheap charger backwards too, got messed up one night and charging a batter inserted it reverse polarity, the whole damn charger went melt down in .2 sec. :p

I am overreacting and your batts are most likely ok, but its better to err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
aah shit, so i should stop the charging until it cools down or just stay away from it while it is charging?
i took a whiff and it smells of bad eggs

Last edited:
will the light actually turn green when its done, or do i have to guess when its done

will the light actually turn green when its done, or do i have to guess when its done

it should turn green, I would be getting a bit worried from 3v drained to 3.7v this is a 123? takes about 15 min of charge, I have some batts with no protection at all, and they drain to 2V and they only take 24 min to charge from 2v

make sure to pick up a cheap multimeter for you laser, I test all new batteries and end up testing tail caps and all kinda of things. I would pull them out for a bit if they smell like eggs something is not right.

hopefully some vet will see this and offer advice for ya, I would say go get some new ones if you can buy them locally.

Last edited:

Stix62

I agree with TheReddish, the battery shouldn't be getting hot. I'd stop charging and let it cool down.
Then I'd probably test the laser again because there should be enough charge in the battery to do that by now.
The next best step would be to buy a better battery(s) and charger.

btw, is it 18650 or 16340?

its still going... btw, does focused to infinity mean that the dot is the smallest it iwll go or the biggest ( biggest diameter) it will go.
also, i think its taking so long becuase my adapter is 1amp. it should be about 3amp, not really sure

its still going... btw, does focused to infinity mean that the dot is the smallest it iwll go or the biggest ( biggest diameter) it will go.
also, i think its taking so long becuase my adapter is 1amp. it should be about 3amp, not really sure

that could be an issue, and focus to infinty means for the best divergence, or for it to saty in a line with the lowest divergence, for burning, you use the waist of a beam or focus to you see the beam twist over on itself, that is the sweet spot for burning.

Last edited:
ok charger light has gone sort of orange and its hard to get it to go red by moving the battery around, so im going to put it into the laser. for burning, should i unfocus it max (really big dot) or focus it max (tiny dot).?

Maze

Not quite sure on what i say but "Focusing it will make it better for burning" Other guys, please edit if im wrong :)

o and its a 18..( cant remember the rest of, just know it starts with 18) and its finished charging now(i think) im going to test it. and i dont have goggles so i dont want to get to close to the beam, also all this beam turning in on itself, its kinda confusing. im just going to make the dot really small (the smallest it i will go) and try burning.

Maze

just be careful and do not make it roll, look into the beam, or the dot.

ok twist it one way the laser makes a V looking laser the other way will take it to infinity, turn past infinity to get a thin beam that twists and looks like a Y instead of a V, other than that I don't know how to explain it :p use the I in the Y to burn. Someone can chime in if they can explain it better:thanks: