Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laws and purchase?

So as of now I live in the USA... In Illinois to be xact... I know that a 125mW green is not legal to have. How do I go about purchasing from NovaLaser or Optitronics and have the laser delivered to my house and not get in legal trouble? Everyone here speaks English and I'm sure there have to be some people who live in he USA and still have these lasers.

I'm also kind of new to purchasing things online so sorry if it's a dumb question.

daguin

baires0314 said:
So as of now I live in the USA... In Illinois to be xact... I know that a 125mW green is not legal to have. How do I go about purchasing from NovaLaser or Optitronics and have the laser delivered to my house and not get in legal trouble? Everyone here speaks English and I'm sure there have to be some people who live in he USA and still have these lasers.

I'm also kind of new to purchasing things online so sorry if it's a dumb question.

Purchasing and owning a 125mW unit is NOT illegal. Lasers above 5mW just need to have the FDA approved safety features and certificate. If you buy it from Nova or Opto, AND choose a model with FDA approval, you will be fine. Otherwise, you takes your chances like everyone else.

Peace,
dave

I'm not sure what methods Nova / Opto use to ship, but make sure to NOT use EMS shipping if you choose a laser that is not FDA compliant. EMS shipping seems to always be searched... the slow methods like Hong Kong Post or registered mail are less likely to be searched (but still could be)

good luck

ok so like for the x125, is that FDA approved? i dont see that written anywhere on the product's page on Nova's site.

baires0314 said:
OK so like for the x125, is that FDA approved? i don't see that written anywhere on the product's page on Nova's site.
no it is not.

would need a status LED light (on when laser on), key switch, key interlock, aperture cover, and warning label near aperture.... i think that's it, may be more safety stuff though that I'm forgetting.

they have the warning label and you can purchase the key switch... but still missing quite a few things.

not to mention after getting all of those things, also needs to be registered with the FDA.

I have a CNI 125mW greenie as well from DragonLasers, awesome laser, measures max 147mW and averages at like 120mW.

just use the free AirMail USA shipping from Nova, should be fine.

ok so free air-mail USA got ya.

One other thing... if i want to travel out of the country, if i put let's say the x125 from NOVA in a backpack... wil security pick it up? or is it plastic?

sk8er4514 said:
[quote author=baires0314 link=1217611873/0#3 date=1217617197]OK so like for the x125, is that FDA approved? i don't see that written anywhere on the product's page on Nova's site.
no it is not.

would need a status LED light (on when laser on), key switch, key interlock, aperture cover, and warning label near aperture.... i think that's it, may be more safety stuff though that I'm forgetting.

they have the warning label and you can purchase the key switch... but still missing quite a few things.

not to mention after getting all of those things, also needs to be registered with the FDA.

I have a CNI 125mW greenie as well from DragonLasers, awesome laser, measures max 147mW and averages at like 120mW.

just use the free AirMail USA shipping from Nova, should be fine.[/quote]

It also needs a two second delay. The Alpha has this, but the x doesn't

Maybe not, but it's metal, and I wouldn't risk it, they would confiscate it and fine you. Just don't take it out of the country and you'll be fine. (As long as you don't point it at an aircraft...)

ha ha no no i wont point it at an aircraft.... i don want a crash and anyone dead. ok the X series has no 2 second delay that's good. ok thanks everyone!