Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lava Flexdrive and Blu-Ray Help Needed

Here's the scenario: I have a laser display that currently has a 120mW red module, the driver board is feeding it just over 300ma at 2.87vdc. I want to swap the red module for a heatsinked 803t, in the past when I have done this I used rckstr drivers and installed a 7.5vdc power supply in the case, however this time around I want to use a Lava Flexdrive and power the BR with the 2.87vdc current that is being conveniently supplied by the existing driver board (which all seems well within specs for the setup)...

My concern is the fact that the existing driver doesn't give a constant power supply, the current and voltage always are the same but the driver turns on and off as the shows input signal calls for the red module to be on or off (the system also includes a green module on a seperate driver which turns on and off too, so the display runs one or both depending on the requirements for a given pattern). Will this harm the Lava Driver? I know that at startup the Lava has a delay, so I'm assuming I will need to reprogram the display (at least on the initial power-up cycle) to have the BR "on" for a few seconds to get the Lava driver to fire, but will the constant "on-off" harm anything?

Thanks in advance for the opinions, ideas, etc!

as long as its just an on-off scenario i dont think it would. have you tried asking drlava? have you tried testing the on-off current/voltage to see exactly what it does during the switch?

Thanks Drew - and the answer is "Yes" and "Yes" (although Dr Lava must be busy because he hasn't answered me yet) ... The voltage and current just zero then come right back as it cycles so I'm guessing the best bet is to just grab a couple of Flexdrives when they're available again and give it a shot, worst case I guess I'll have the parts for a couple more BR handheld builds, right?

(Actually, I'm waiting for Hightechdealz to have the 6x in modules available and I'm going to use those at 210mA instead of the 803t's - I figure as long as the drivers handle the job, the diodes should be fine running a little high considering they will be in fan-cooled enclosures, in nice, solid heatsinks, and not run continuously but more like 70% on vs off)...

50-60mW of green mixed with 200-ish mW of BR should give me a really nice solid sky blue, I hope (the current tricolors I built with BR at 114mA and 30mW green came out really nice).

BrewCityMusic said:
Thanks Drew - and the answer is "Yes" and "Yes" (although Dr Lava must be busy because he hasn't answered me yet) ... The voltage and current just zero then come right back as it cycles so I'm guessing the best bet is to just grab a couple of Flexdrives when they're available again and give it a shot, worst case I guess I'll have the parts for a couple more BR handheld builds, right?

(Actually, I'm waiting for Hightechdealz to have the 6x in modules available and I'm going to use those at 210mA instead of the 803t's - I figure as long as the drivers handle the job, the diodes should be fine running a little high considering they will be in fan-cooled enclosures, in nice, solid heatsinks, and not run continuously but more like 70% on vs off)...

50-60mW of green mixed with 200-ish mW of BR should give me a really nice solid sky blue, I hope (the current tricolors I built with BR at 114mA and 30mW green came out really nice).
im sure drlava gets quite a few pm's b/c it always takes a while for him to get back to me too. as long as it zeros and then goes back to voltage it should be ok. its just like having a switch if its just blanking... only in this case it would be a software controlled switch. if you were looking for a fader effect it would be a completely different story..

See, Drew - you're too helpful - I just realized that until I decided to go 6x, I was planning on buying the 803t's from you ;D ;D

Are you SURE the 6x idea isn't flawed? (kidding)

Thanks Again!