Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasever >80mw 473nm Review

This is by far the best already assembled laser I have ever purchased. Lasever has a great product at a very good price. If you are looking for a 473 that's over spec check them out. When they say >80mW what they should have said was you're laser will be over spec.

10-10 Price paid, $405.00 it would have been $390.00 but I was asked to pay the Pay Pal fee. For a 473 of this power this is good price, beats buying a 65mW from Laserglow at $1200.00+

8-10 Delivery, I received this laser 7 days after it was shipped, I would have gotten it sooner but they were holding some kind of 2 day holiday in China. When it arrived it was very well packaged and protected. I got an over spec 473 laser, two key switches, a pin, an 18650 battery and a charger. :D

10-10 Customer Service, David Wu was awesome and LPF forum member Lasever was great as well. Both answered my emails promptly.

10-10 Laser Quality, I'm no expert nor would I dare take this thing apart but from what I can tell this laser is built very well, the host feels solid and is heavy thick aluminum. It looks exactly like a CNI host. The crystal used to produce the 473 is LBO and the beam spot is perfect round TEM0. :drool:

10-10 Power and performance, This laser peaked at 125mW once and has peaked at 112 consistently since then. The laser maintains an average power of 94-108 and never falls below 92mW for two straight minutes, I don't know what it would do after that as I don't run it for more than 2 minutes. The LBO crystal does not like to get warm and will mode shift to TEM 01 after running it for a while unless you allow a 5 minute cooldown to restore TEM0.

10-10 Safety, This laser has all 5 of the required FDA safety features, I wasn't worried about it getting past customs at all. As a class 3B it is still dangerous and not to be under estimated. It isn't all that far off from 500mW of class 4 445 due to the divergence, I calculated the NOHD at 287.18 with 100mW of power goggles are a must.

10-10 Beam Divergence, This is where this laser truly shines, it is after all a DPSS. I can't verify the measurements but according to Lasever's web site the divergence is .8 and the beam diameter is 2mm. The beam spot is great to behold and flickers like a star on video using a lens to zoom in at 105mm.

Oh yes right, pictures, ok in order from 1 - 9

1) Unwrapping the laser
2) Laser Accessories
3) Feels heavy and is made of thick aluminum, looks like a CNI host.
4) Beam shot comparison at exactly 72" at 105mm camera zoom 100mW 473 left vs 216 mW 445 right
5) Mode shift to TEM01 after running it over several two minute runs.
6) LPM test 108mW at 53 seconds
7) Beam shot in living room no time exposure, no smoke, no fog.
8) Beam shot outside at night 100mW of 473 looks the same as 400mW 445.
9) You Tube video of the LPM test sorry guys but I don't know how to link it, here is the You Tube Channel Lasever 100mW 473 hand held LPM test.

7092-unwrapping-new-80mw-473-hand-held-lasever.jpg

7091-473nm-laser-accessories-lasever-80mw.jpg

7090-incedible-host-lasever-80mw-ill-get-review-up-my-next-off-day-laser-peaked-125mw.jpg

7099-100mw-lasever-473nm-hand-held-dot-vs-216mw-survival-laser-445nm-dot-72.jpg

7103-lbo-crystal-473-does-not-like-get-warm-will-mode-shift-tem0-tem-01-after-about-2-4-minutes-run-time.jpg

7102-highest-peak-i-saw-125mw-but-only-did-once-average-laser-will-sustain-98-108-full-2-minutes-without-going-below-92mw.jpg

7105-100mw-473-my-living-room-no-smoke-no-fog.jpg

7104-80-mw-473-beam-highly-visible-night-clear-non-foggy-conditions-those-who-were-wondering-its-enough.jpg

[

Last edited:

The beam spot is great to behold and flickers like a star on video using a lens to zoom in at 105mm.

Nice review! It's interesting that you see this effect on your camera.. With many if not all 473nm lasers (and probably other wavelengths that use LBO) the power fluctuates at a relatively high frequency, so high that you don't really see it unless you use at the very least a photodiode and scope, usually in the kHz range. The amplitude of the fluctuations can vary greatly from laser to laser, from nearly imperceptible to quite large. The fluctuations are generated in the doubling crystal, although I'm not sure of the exact mechanism. It sounds to me like your camera is catching a slightly different power level from the laser with every refresh. I could be wrong of course, having not seen it myself, but if you've used this camera to film green lasers and you've only seen this effect with 473nm then that fact lends some credence to the idea IMO.

Last edited:
nice review! This here was a great laser (that I was unable to keep the first time around) but I'm working at a new one of these myself. Won't have it for a while unfortunately.

Edit: to put youtube videos in here edit your post, click "go advanced" and on the top bar there is a youtube button (with bold, etc) on the far right. Just click that and copy your URL in there.

Last edited:
nice review! This here was a great laser (that I was unable to keep the first time around) but I'm working at a new one of these myself. Won't have it for a while unfortunately.

Edit: to put youtube videos in here edit your post, click "go advanced" and on the top bar there is a youtube button (with bold, etc) on the far right. Just click that and copy your URL in there.

To ZRaffleticket:

Don't worry! You will get it soon! :D

To Cgchaser

Good to hear that you like it!

Van:wave:

Blord

Nice review. 473nm handheld is still missing in my collection. This laser seems a good one. :san:

Nice review! It's interesting that you see this effect on your camera.. With many if not all 473nm lasers (and probably other wavelengths that use LBO) the power fluctuates at a relatively high frequency, so high that you don't really see it unless you use at the very least a photodiode and scope, usually in the kHz range. The amplitude of the fluctuations can vary greatly from laser to laser, from nearly imperceptible to quite large. The fluctuations are generated in the doubling crystal, although I'm not sure of the exact mechanism. It sounds to me like your camera is catching a slightly different power level from the laser with every refresh. I could be wrong of course, having not seen it myself, but if you've used this camera to film green lasers and you've only seen this effect with 473nm then that fact lends some credence to the idea IMO.

Really wow! I never knew this, +1 for your incite on this. Now I need to run more tests. I use a Nikon D90, I also took video and have the effect recorded as it happened. I will need to post it on You Tube ASAP. I love these fluctuations, I've never had any laser that did this.

@cgchaser Well it's good that this has a normal duty cycle, your camera picks that up pretty well actually. It's weird how it picks up this effect though, really weird... Do you see these yourself or is it just the camera? It's pretty neat, something I havent seen on camera or in person before. Somebody with a high speed camera should try this.

@Blord You definitely should, it's hard to find a camera that picks up the color accurately, but I'd say that lasever's and my profile pics are about as close as you can get on a computer screen.

@Van Looking forward to having it!

@cgchaser Well it's good that this has a normal duty cycle, your camera picks that up pretty well actually. It's weird how it picks up this effect though, really weird... Do you see these yourself or is it just the camera? It's pretty neat, something I havent seen on camera or in person before. Somebody with a high speed camera should try this.

I can't see the effect up close when wearing goggles but from a long distance it looks like a pulsing star.

Nice review. 473nm handheld is still missing in my collection. This laser seems a good one. :san:

Lasever never let you down~ :eg:
we are trying to improve and do better to customers :na:

nice! this one stayed above 100mW longer than mine did!

I got lucky on this one with the frquency shifts and the power. With Lasever selling these for $390.00 high power 473 has finally become obtainable to us all. Now someone out there please invent a hand held 488 :D

Nichia has done that already :whistle:
I can get a diode for a reasonable $4000 and make a handheld haha, I'd want a slightly shorter wavelength though, 480nm sounds pretty nice to me.