Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers on Holiday? Is it worth it?

I read about people taking their lasers on holidays and the trouble is causes but this seams to vary with airlines and how you transport them it seams.

I am going to Tenerife towards the end of July and wondering if I should bother taking my greenie with me or not. Its a 75mW if that makes any difference... I am not sure if I want to take it with me or not, it would be awesome to take it but if it means having it confiscated or something at the airport then there is no way I am taking it, yet if all I need to do is take the batteries out and keep it all seperatly or something then I will take it with me...

If not I could buy a cheapy 5mW green keyring if I can find one somewhere, that would satisfy me for 2 weeks. 2 weeks with a low powered laser is better than 2 weeks with no laser haha.

Razako

It's probably illegal to take on planes because it can be used as a weapon. I wouldn't risk having it confiscated by the airport security.

i always thought about "hey what if i have to fly somewhere....would i take my laser?" but i always decide that i care about it too much to risk having it confiscated,

think of it as a week without TV or PC, you can do it! :)

nikokapo said:
i always thought about "hey what if i have to fly somewhere....would i take my laser?" but i always decide that i care about it too much to risk having it confiscated,

think of it as a week without TV or PC, you can do it! :)

Ahh! No TV and no PC!! Haha...

I probably wont take my higher powered ones with me but I am sure people have managed to get cheapy 1mW red key chain ones through with no problems so I cant see why a 5 or 10mW greenie attached to my keys wont...

i wouldnt wanna risk a laser on a plane. your best off leaving your lasers at home.
but seen as though your going to tenerife, i can understand just how much you would like a laser there - wanting to point a green beam from one side of the beach to as far as your eye can see :D
just buy the 50mw green off DX and pack it carefully in your luggage.
youve got nothing to lose..well, about 13 quid?

Well if you brought it on your carry on that's a big no no.
But if it was in your luggage would they care?
i mean you have no access to it while the plane is in flight... but then again i dont know, that's why im asking you guys.

iewed

You could always mail it to yourself via USPS. Thats what I plan on doing when I go to Comic-Con in July.

You could always call and ask. I don't see why it would be a problem if you put the battery(ies) in the luggage and the the pointer in your carry on.

diachi

You could always wrap it up in some bubble wrap, then put it in a tub and keep it on your luggage ( Not carry on ). I dont think they can do anything about that. You could also change the sticker to a 5mW green or even a 1mW red and just take the batteries out so they can't test it ;) It's really up to you though .

Diachi

mikeeey said:
Well if you brought it on your carry on that's a big no no.
i mean you have no access to it while the plane is in flight... but then again i dont know, that's why im asking you guys.

Thats what I thought originally...

Obviously luggage must get checked the same way as hand luggage but then as you say I have no access to it... The only concern then is what a IR diode lined up with a load of crystals and lenses will look like through the scanners :/

SMIDSY

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1212361589/0#5 date=1212368811]Well if you brought it on your carry on that's a big no no.

Thats what I thought originally...

Obviously luggage must get checked the same way as hand luggage but then as you say I have no access to it... The only concern then is what a IR diode lined up with a load of crystals and lenses will look like through the scanners :/[/quote]

I put it in my suitcase and it went throough fine....

it was brilliant the desert at night :cool:

Dr. Evil said:
You could always call and ask. I don't see why it would be a problem if you put the battery(ies) in the luggage and the the pointer in your carry on.
might as well put the ammo in the luggage and the gun in the carry on.

it's legal to have the laser, batteries or not in your checked bags. My flights to and from Alaska a couple weeks ago went just fine. I had my lasers, 2 rifles, and a pistol in a locked gun case on the way back down and the lasers in my checked suitase on the way up. If you want to be extra careful, put the batteries in your carry on and check the lasers.

mikeeey said:
[quote author=Dr. Evil link=1212361589/0#8 date=1212392163]You could always call and ask. I don't see why it would be a problem if you put the battery(ies) in the luggage and the the pointer in your carry on.
might as well put the ammo in the luggage and the gun in the carry on.[/quote]

A gun is a lot different than a laser... You aren't allowed to carry any type of explosives on board anyway. I've carried my leadlight on board a few times. Sometimes they noticed it and somethimes they didn't. They either didn't care when they noticed it or they would ask if the battereis have be removed.