Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

lasers just became my obsession and i need help with my first buildd

i bought a radioshack green laser for like 60 bucks and it was pretty entertaining. then my friend showed me his sick red one that could burn stuff and from that point on i was hooked. please give me advice, hints, help, anything that would assist me in my first build. tell me if this was a good idea. i was doing research and i finally figured out this is all the stuff i guess i thought would be best. if you could give me links where to get them at for the best offer or price, or just tell me if i dont need it or if i would be better off getting somthing else, im going for burning power :

MXDL 5W Lumileds CR123A 6V Flashlight

405-G-1 glass lens mod

flex drive

Aixiz Diode Housing Module

HR-803T HD diode sled 405nm

batteries

and i guess thats it? ha please help the dumbass ;)

You should get some rechargeable Li Io batteries and charger. A heatsink from Jayrob, and a good set of goggles so you dont blind yourself.

Edit: its a PHR-803t. We just call them PHRs.

You should get some rechargeable Li Io batteries and charger. A heatsink from Jayrob, and a good set of goggles so you dont blind yourself.

Edit: its a PHR-803t. We just call them PHRs.
okay noted, but is everything else straight?

alright thanks alot bro, and in your opinion, do you think it will perform well?

Oh yeah. Its the cheapest burning Blu-Ray you can make. All the parts are top notch, and should out live your fascination with it. If you get into the hobby, you can always sell it, and make a higher power one.

it will perform well. but to elaborate on what tj said, it is good to get it pre-set but you will need to check it your self with a test load. the lava drivers are good but a little tricky for beginners. never power it with out a load attached. no excuses. it will blow. to make a test load is cheap and easy. go to www.rog8811.com

michael

Also ground out the cap on the driver in case it has some residual power lingering. There are plenty of tutorials on the forum, so just read around before the actual build. Good luck.

yes but one more thing. i am 99percent sure that 6 volts will be too much. you don't want to really go over 5. so you will have to figure out how to achieve this.
i.e. spaces set up to fit in 1 battery spot. or soldering in a jumber somewhere.

michael

I'm sure you could make it fit in the host somehow. If you don't have a heat sink you'll need one if you wan't it to live a while.

do any of you guys know where i could get a pre-assembled host/ heat sink, or something? the driver looks pretty confusing, but my electronics professor would LOVE to help me with it haha. do i have to solder the driver to the diode? sorry if i'm unbearably ignorant

NO, you do not have to solder the diode to the driver. the most important thing in that aspect is the quality of your solder joints.

michael