Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers, density, Radiation and Fun with glassware. Pix

hello folks it's been awhile since I have posted a new and interesting thread.
I have not given up on the hobby just branched in other directions. Partially because I recently moved to large city and lasers into the night sky are discouraged.
Ugh restricted to the garage.

Let me preface this by saying this is not a lab report just for fun. I'm actually working on a Chem. project I will post in the Geeks corner at a later date.
Recently I acquired some lab glass and Uranium marbles here's where I landed!:

A beam shot of my 594.1

What you are seeing here is a black light with UV dyes.

405 laser with uranium marble base!

This is where things get interesting with liquids with different densities:
In the top condenser I have a cylinder of liquid alcohol that has a specific gravity of approx .78 at 1 atmo. 30C. that contains the UV dye. (Fushia color) in the outer jacket I have a lime green dye excited by the 405 laser.
(The first photo I have the dye flipped.)
Next I have a oil barrier that is heavier than the alcohol but lighter than water. Baby oil(.82 SG). This separates the dyes and leaves the water transparent so the marbles can be seen in full effect!

Barrier

Just for added fun I decanned an 1135P and mounted it to the custom tubing support. The purpose is just simply for an art design or a laser display. The 405 laser has an output of approx. 500mW so eye protection is always used until the laser is secured and there are no harmful reflections.

Thanks for looking everyone!

WOW !!! Very nice !!! Like a modern day ....Coherent version of a Geissler Tube !!!

The beauty of Coherent Light takes many path's !!! Thanx 4 sharing !!!

See geissler tube | eBay

Hey thanks for that link cd beam. A good reminder for that SSTC I've had on deck. For over a year.
Those tubes are pretty neat.

Hey downwith,
A very nice collection of lab glassware. I have looked into purchasing some for the same idea you have done, but it is too expensive for me to purchase equipment like you have in the above pics, so I have had to settle for glass containers that have everyday use and are cheap, and can hold liquids or fog. Great idea and pics!

Benm

Those are pretty nice pictures!

I guess these would actually be pretty good props to use in movies and such, throw in a couple of pellets of dry ice and you've got your frankenstein movie lab right there and then :D

pretty neat. I do stuff like this sometimes. I should try running my HUGE HeCd through something like this, if I had a fiber for it. that could be very epic. the argon might have a cool result too. maybe you should give that a shot. 488 can excite sodas and lots of very interesting things :beer: