Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

lasers and thermal paper - funnest thing ever!!

while idly trying to burn black ink on the label of a box of pills, i discovered something...the label was printed on thermal paper! this is the funnest thing ever ever ever (yes, i'm easily entertained at times) - with my pulsar i can (slowly and shakily) write on the white paper! :) it just looks like ink where i've not burned it accidentally, this has inspired me and i think i must now buy some thermal paper of my own!

S

SenKat

Re: lasers and thermal paper - funnest thing ever!

Ooooooooo - that is fun stuff there ! :D See if you can get a hold of a "lightscribe" disc or two also.....pretty neato stuff there - if you get the correct focal length - you can write on those by hand, too ! And it shows up pretty good - better than on the actual data side - which you can write on, but you REALLY gotta look close to see anything afterwards !

probably pretty much the same stuff :) if anyone wants to try it out, many reciepts are printed this way so if you just find an old reciept from a supermarket/petrol station or whatever you should be able to do it... you have to be careful though, too long and it burns, not long enough and nothing shows, and keeping it in the right focus is a pain!

Rhith

Sounds like tons of fun! Once I get a laser this will be a must try. I should steal a roll of receipt paper from work. :cool: You can also get a nice effect with a cigarette lighter from a car on receipts.

Justin

This actually works amazingly well with a high powered IR pointer (or just a focused IR diode). Since the IR light is mostly invisible the writing just appears out of nowhere! We had some fun with this while we were testing high-powered IR lasers for an industrial marking application and then we found out it works just as well with a handheld IR laser.

Maybe one day this will replace the pen. Lasers are so much cooler than ink.

I went through the trash and couldn't find any. Will have to remember to save it next time I am at walmart :)

Remember the old roll paper thermal fax machines ?? Now there's paper !!

Mike

Cool!, I'll have to remember that!.....

Now thats one way to "impress" the waitress as you sign your paystub at the restaurant with a laser instead of a pen!

Remember that Senkat the next time we do Mexican!

Things

hahaha, funny that, i had my dx 20, and i was trying to burn something, so i got some old reciept, and pointed the laser onto it. i thought it was burning at first, then i found out it was thermal paper :mad: i thought my laser could burn ;D ;D ;D

yea.. its tough to burn white paper any way you stack it "unless its thermal"