Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers and Streetlights

Things

LOL, i have a few street lights in my street, but they are very tall, and even though i live on the side of the hill, i still cant turn them off. Maybe i need a RPL ;D ;D

Haha, awesome. I have tried it a few times but I don't think I am high up enough to hit the sensor right.

I love to do that! It's kinda tricky to do it from the ground, you have to hit the sensor right.

yobresal said:
Please don't hate me for doing this. I couldn't help myself.  ::)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1157122/lasers_turn_off_the_street_lights/

Funny thing is that is what originally got me interested in lasers about 18 years ago. I was in high school and my freind's neighbor had this red laser that at the time I thought looked like a shop vac. A huge box (power supply) with a cord and a 4 foot long tube. He had it out one night and was shining it on water towers and showing us the dot through binoculars. He then showed us you could put out street lights and let us try it. He lived up on a hillside just above a street, and we soon had all the lights on that street off. Then we would watch the cars drive by really slow wondering what happened to the lights. That's when I realized how cool lasers are....

Amnizu

I only hate you for using metacafe because it doesn't work for me.

andy_con said:
you need to find a street light with a sensor, some are switched on

Most of the ones in the US have a phot-electric control, consisting of a photo sensor and heat sensor with a heater. Triggering the photosensor actually activates the heater, which then has to cool before opening the circuit again. So you get a little time delay just by hitting the sensor for a few seconds.

Kenom

there are also some sensors that only face a certain direction (usually the direction of the rising sun) and if you hit it from the backside it does nothing.

Switch

Cool! I didn't know about this :D Another fun thing to do with my lasers ::)