Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers and how much is enough

My question to you guys is:

How powerful must a green laser be to burn things (By things i mean: matches,plastic,pop baloons and burn paper of course).

Also my other question is if all lasers have a focus function and are there any lenses that i can use to make the beam even more focused.

I've read that with an expensive lense i can burn stuff with as little as 10mw.

Regards
me :p

Last edited:

No disrespect, but judging by your post, you are new to the world of lasers.

Burning things should be at the bottom of your to do list, not the top.

Do you have experience with lasers???

And Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: mfo
Welcome to the forum! I agree with photonahalic 100% however, I will provide you with this... I can melt black electrical tape with a 50mW green. As far as lighting matches you'll need at least 100mW of green. I'm unsure if there is such a lens that can do what you're asking... But another member will surely chime in on this one. If such an optic does exist it will most likely be extremely expensive.

Last edited:
10mW of optical power is not enough to 'burn', there are no such optics that willboost power.
Highest burning demand on your list is igniting matches, for that either 100 mW focused to pinpoint, or 150+ mW of normal unfocused laser will suffice. You will need to count about 200 $ US for something like that.

Although Rayfoss has 200 mW focusable torch green laser ($150), there is generaly no other quality green lasers that are up-to-spec at that powers, for prices 1$=1mW or less.

If burning is what you want, go with DIY red lasers, cheapest burners.

If you are a bit confused, see here:
YouTube - Green laser pointer power tutorial - Viper laser pointers

Grix

Each to their own, guys. I think burning is half the fun with lasers, it's extremely cool to ignite or melt stuff using nothing but focused light!

^I will most certainly agree with on that one.

Almost every time I fire on up, I usually smoke something. I don't always sit their and burn holes in things, but it very fun to see little whiffs of smoke arise from what ever I'm pointing at. Almost all of my lasers are burners anyway, so sometimes it just happens with out me even trying:)

Last edited:
Maby you should try one of Viasho's 400mW 532nm lasers, I just got a 500mW from them and it will some times put out 565mW but that is right out of the box and it's cold here, a full review will soon follow.

O yea and how much is enough ? as many as you can afford ! :D

BR

Pyro...

Last edited: