Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserjet 8000 laser diode

cpsim

ok i have a question. i have a future planned project. i do not have a whole lot of information on this LD. it is out of a laserjet 8000. the pcb for it is the RG5-1899 15v board. it uses the ls500e chipset in the driver board. while i do not plan on using this board. any info anyone may have for the LD would be much appreciated. my future project is a cnc cutting tool. right now its just gonna be for etching circuit boards.

That laser diode is a very low mw rating, all laser printers use diodes that are super low power.

The only purpose that diode serves inside the printer is to illuminate the drum inside the toner cartridge.

Sorry, it will not etch anything for you, unless the boards are photo activated resist.

cpsim

grins. ty. so basically a really big. hunk of metal lol. tryn to figure out how much i do need. the boards will be coated in etch resist. so basically the lasers job will be to burn the ink off the boards. learned alot running through a post earlier. the conversation there gave me a higher understanding of the driver circuit. and power settings for the LD's. get this one working that i am building. and start working on a feed info from the photo side. want to create a circuit that will adjust the current once the LD has heated up properly.

I'd go with a least a 405nm 6X.
That etch resist resin can sometimes be a tough cookie to burn.
Good luck, and remember to post pics. when done.
We love pictures!!!

cpsim

planning on takin pics and video of build. Managed a lm1084 off a intel mother board. its a smt. has the same 1.5a that the lm317 does. lookin at adding the resistor accross the capacitor on the ddl circuit. so it drains the cap after power off. the question i am debating on in this build is would two or more beams joined increase the strength of the beam? ie make it cut or burn faster

My question is though,, why did the Xerox 9700 use 120 mw argon lasers? ifthey only need a low power BORING diode. I am confused on this. Thnaks

back then the photo drums were made of a selenium alloy and not nearly as sensitive to light as the newer photo-organic compounds.

Selenium Tellurium alloy drums were outlawed quite a few years ago, they were ending up in landfills.

When I worked on those old machines back in the 80's we had to wear gloves.

Copiers also had very powerful halogen exposure lamps, now they can get away with using LED illumination strips.

Those old machines also had very powerful corona supplies in them, the corona wires lit up blue and made one hell of an ozone output, this rotted the rubber components like drum blades and feed rollers quickly.

Now they just charge a rubber/carbon roller and pass the electrons directly onto the drums.

When I worked on those old machines back in the 80's we had to wear gloves.

No shit? You worked on the Xerox 9700? Wow! That's so cool!
I did too! Back in '88 when i worked 1.5 years for xerox, I was a maintenance tech on those monsters... These critters were expensive to maintain, but the output was nothing short of amazing (at the time)... I still have a few supplies from that era, including platinum corona wire spools, and craploads of "film remover" bottles and various other solvents... I remember setting the voltages for a new belt on those behemoths was quite an art...

I enquired at the time on how to acquire one of those used lasers at the time, they said all the lasers were sent to be refurbished in Ontario, but I bet they were just pawning them off at electronics surplus stores, because a local place had loads of old Xerox branded equipment and parts... :mad:

Aah, those were the days! :yh:

Robert

Yes, I have been a copy tech since like 1985.

I remember when Konica released the first "color copier" it used positive photo paper and a developer bath like a dark room.

I still have a roll of gold plated corona wire, and yes I remember buffing oxidation off those selenium drums with brasso.

LOL, yeah, back when I had still some hair! It was a fun job, but we were exposed to some nasty chems at the time... I remember those expensive drums, we had different grades of xerox-brand pumice, and even one of those abrasive erasers for ink to remove the nicks, stains and dead spots... I occasionally use my platinum wire for electrolysis and electroplating experiments, a tiny bit lasts a looong time! :D
- Robert

I still work that field to this day, always will.

Except now I have my own gig, working on my own for the last 10 years.

Easy to compete with the big shots when they charge $120 an hour, I charge a little less, and charge less for parts too.

I just took apart a laser printer and have the same laser and PCB.

I am not looking for anything super high powered but am curious as to what this laser can do. Does it produce a visible beam? (Red I take it?) and how strong is it compared to a 2.00 laser pointer?

I have been toying around with microcontrollers and electronics for a few months and took apart the printer for the various motors, wires and circuit boards and thought it might be fun to do something with the laser as long as it even produces something visible.

Just out of curiosity - I have been thinking of making a CNC machine, mainly for etching circuit boards. If I wanted to use a laser how strong would it need to be and around how much would it cost? I could build the driver myself (would prefer to so I could control the power output via the microcontroller/pc).

welcome to the forum, and no that laser is a low power IR unit.

It is pre set to a very short focal point as well.

I can't answer you CNC question though, sorry.

mat.jpg

I have compiled a list of "must read" information, it will make your time with us more productive and pleasant.

Laser Resources (for n00bs and veterans alike!)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - an Open Access Resource of In-Depth Information, Free Articles, Nonlinear and Fiber Optics

I have included a handy guide to assist you in finding what you need. ;)

search.gif

I just took apart a laser printer and have the same laser and PCB.

I am not looking for anything super high powered but am curious as to what this laser can do. Does it produce a visible beam? (Red I take it?) and how strong is it compared to a 2.00 laser pointer?

I have been toying around with microcontrollers and electronics for a few months and took apart the printer for the various motors, wires and circuit boards and thought it might be fun to do something with the laser as long as it even produces something visible.

Just out of curiosity - I have been thinking of making a CNC machine, mainly for etching circuit boards. If I wanted to use a laser how strong would it need to be and around how much would it cost? I could build the driver myself (would prefer to so I could control the power output via the microcontroller/pc).

I would guess to say...to etch Circuit boards you are talking about
(melting/vaporizing copper)... without damaging the base resin...
The Laser to etch the board would damage the board IMO... not to
mention the Mucho $$$$ for such a high powered Laser... IMO

Anyone with more experience than I.. please correct me if I'm wrong..

BYW... It's a lot cheaper to etch with acids..

Jerry

cpsim

I would guess to say...to etch Circuit boards you are talking about
(melting/vaporizing copper)... without damaging the base resin...
The Laser to etch the board would damage the board IMO... not to
mention the Mucho $$$$ for such a high powered Laser... IMO

Anyone with more experience than I.. please correct me if I'm wrong..

BYW... It's a lot cheaper to etch with acids..

Jerry

i believe your comment to be correct. the secondary plan would be to burn off a black coating. which be a much lower powered laser. which goes back into the multi step process. ie still using the acid bath.

lee

OK... I see... you want to do the Photo Resist with the Laser to prepare
for Acid etching...
That is more Doable... The stronger the beam... the faster the burn..
There are members here that are using 12X Burner LDS and getting quite
a bit of power out of them...

You should read this Thread.....

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/12x-br-diodes-46798.html

Jerry