Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserglow or Optotronics?

Hi guys.

Any consensus on which firm, and laser is the best to commit a first-time-proper-laser type order with?

Budget of $600, and preferably using mainstream batteries (AA, AAA, C, D etc...).

Reliability and durability are the most important points to me.

So far, after a bit of homework, it seems that Laserglow are hands down the best, but Optotronics also caught my eye.

One thing that bothers me though about Laserglow's Aries is that it apparrently use high quality 1.2W diodes, as do the Optotronics PPL range, yet the Aries only has a diode lifetime of 5,000 hrs compared to the PPL's 80,000!

What gives?

Also, if Laserglow are so good, I wonder why don't they use the same diode in theirs or something equal to it?

I know the warranty is equal for both (6 months), but surely in real terms the longer lifetime diode should do better in the long run than the shorter one?

So... Laserglow Vs Optotronics - Aries Vs PPL - Reputation Vs Reputation??

Could the story get even better with another contender?... Recommendations welcome :)

Actually, does it even make a difference, apart from price, to buy from any of the popular names these days?
(Laserglow, Optotronics, Nova Lasers, Dragon Lasers, Wicked Lasers, Tech Lasers etc... )

I know some in that list have had bad reviews on occasion, but is it still the case today?

Thanks for the advice mate :)

I took a look at the RPL, but was put off by the battery.

They're much harder to buy, at least here in the UK, than mainstream C's and D's.

Also, Laserglow only use conventional Batteries aswell; bearing in mind their top-tier status, could this mean something?

I'm just wondering if it might be a sign of an issue of reliable battery supply because Optotronics say they can't offer spare batteries at the moment, and the only two suppliers in the UK sell protected cells (incompatible with the RPL, apparrently) or non-branded un-protected ones that would probably blow up or something!

One thing that concerns me about Optotronics, is the fact that they don't appear as polished as the others.

The site looks like it was thrown together in an afternoon on a ten year old PC, and they have a very limited product range.

I know I'm being shallow, and all the other positive signs are there, like options for reports, extended warranty, detailed specs and so on, but still...

Also, the policy of absolutely no refunds goes against statutory UK trade policy, specifically Distance Selling Regulations, that state that everyone in the UK has the right to a no-quibbles 7 day satisfaction period for online or telephone based purchases.

The rules probably don't apply with overseas transactions I guess; I'll look into it though and post here if it does actually apply.

Laserglow, Dragon, Tech, and Wicked all offer this, which is why I'm a bit suspicious.

Razako

bbshamsa said:
Thanks for the advice mate :)

I took a look at the RPL, but was put off by the battery.

They're much harder to buy, at least here in the UK, than mainstream C's and D's.

Also, Laserglow only use conventional Batteries aswell; bearing in mind their top-tier status, could this mean something?

I'm just wondering if it might be a sign of an issue of reliable battery supply because Optotronics say they can't offer spare batteries at the moment, and the only two suppliers in the UK sell protected cells (incompatible with the RPL, apparrently) or non-branded un-protected ones that would probably blow up or something!

One thing that concerns me about Optotronics, is the fact that they don't appear as polished as the others.

The site looks like it was thrown together in an afternoon on a ten year old PC, and they have a very limited product range.

I know I'm being shallow, and all the other positive signs are there, like options for reports, extended warranty, detailed specs and so on, but still...

Also, the policy of absolutely no refunds goes against statutory UK trade policy, specifically Distance Selling Regulations, that state that everyone in the UK has the right to a no-quibbles 7 day satisfaction period for online or telephone based purchases.

The rules probably don't apply with overseas transactions I guess; I'll look into it though and post here if it does actually apply.

Laserglow, Dragon, Tech, and Wicked all offer this, which is why I'm a bit suspicious.
Batteries won't be a problem if you get the RPL. You can get them from Dx for $4.50 each with free shipping.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6979~r.47784034
If you have any questions about optotronics you can always email them and ask. Lots of members here including myself have bought lasers from opto and there are few if any complaints.

Be sure to have goggles! BTW, if you want a CNI like the LG Aries, I can get you a great deal! I got 2 brand new units recently and the >100 mW units were (after warm up) about average 140 - 170 mW! They run on 2 C batteries! The cost is a little more for the >200 mW, but these have enough power for me and only ~$320 shipped.

i'd go for Opto if i had that budget, seriously, you can even adjust output power with the RPLs!!!

(and follow scope's advice, GET GOGGLES).

Ace82

Or, you can get this. ;D
Common guys, someone needs to review one of these! ;D

P.S. OPTOTRONICS don't know about LG!

Ace82iamsoawesomeicanhazcheeseburgerwithketchup said:
Or, you can get this.  ;D
Common guys, someone needs to review one of these!  ;D

P.S. OPTOTRONICS don't know about LG!

yeah, lets get that "Review Season" back to the forums!!

Cheers guys.

Your ideas were really helpful in getting a broader picture.

Ultimately though, I am more certain now about the battery issue and the company reputation.

I'm going for a good old Laserglow low-mid power (100mw-150mw), plus a cheaper S-Ky Lasers unit direct from them.

The Laserglow will represent a quality brand with a mainstream power source (C's and D's), and the other will represent a more risky option, that uses 18650's. Although, I'll probably get a higher power S-Kylasers unit as they are a bit cheaper than Laserglow.

Hopefully both will represent opposite ends of the "quality reputation" and I'll extensively test both and post a review...

... Loving the reviews idea tbh, it should be mandatory! ;)

Can anyone recommend a cheap and reasonable power meter, or a source for one; I can't justify the $1000 dollars for a Coherent, unfortunately.

I'm in the UK though, which might limit any offers of testing services in the good ol' U.S. of A. :)

Also, I just returned a Techlasers Infiniti 125mW because I wasn't satisfied with the power drain being so fast... roughly stopped burning ability after around 3 mins. I've since learned from other sources that this isn't so unusual, considering the high output and AAA's, but that wasn't made clear on the laser's details online. To be fair though, this is appears to be the same with all high power pointers from everyone. Can't blame Techlasers alone for that one.

I'll post a brief review of my experience with Techlasers returns and refund process.

By the way, I couldn't let myself ignore that point about Optotronics and their No Refund policy. It sounds fair on the surface of it, but hard to accept in this day and age.

I understand how people really in the know, and experienced might be satisfied with this, but I'm not such a buyer, and for an outlay of $600 plus, I expect the same consumer rights as I get when I spend £10 or £1000 here at home; I'm just a bit spoiled I guess ;)

It hasn't put me off Optotronics for the future though, just at this moment, they don't seem to be the supplier for me.

Finally, it seems that the PPL series might be leaving Optotronic's portfolio as they don't appear to be restocking them as they sell out.

I wonder what they'll be replaced with, if at all?