Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LASERGLOW finally started to sell 447nm lasers

Re: LASERFLOW finally started to sell 447nm lasers

With the higher specifications, and the fact that they seam to be able to go down to 5mW, I would seam they are using a different diode then the ones we use in the DIY Kits....plus their 1W model is hardly comparable price wise to some of the other offerings. Very nice non the less though.

I need a new wood lathe for my shop before anything else...I don't need a Polaris...I don't need a Polaris...I probably don't need a Polaris...I probably need a Polaris...curse this hobby, it's hell on a man's wallet. :yabbmad:

With the higher specifications, and the fact that they seam to be able to go down to 5mW, I would seam they are using a different diode then the ones we use in the DIY Kits....plus their 1W model is hardly comparable price wise to some of the other offerings. Very nice non the less though.

I doubt they're using a different diode. The price would be a lot more, and someone bought one of the 5mW ones from mindripper, who has sold CNI stuff before, and they have an Nd filter installed in the front of the laser where the gold cap is, and the power without it is like 30-40mW, and the drive current is/was 296mA or so, just above the lasing threshold.

^ you NEED the polaris.....................what, who said that :D

I wonder if all the models in the polaris line up all have the same diode, just powered at a different current range. They range from 50-1000mW which is do-able with a a140

Last edited:

The Polaris is a beast of a laser. I'd have one if I didn't spend all day, every day with them. Wait, am I allowed to say that? :D

DJNY

The Polaris is a beast of a laser. I'd have one if I didn't spend all day, every day with them. Wait, am I allowed to say that? :D

You should better do good work and order the Polaris powers correctly from low to high :na:

Haha, I don't deal with the website. I just work with the lasers, man. I'll mention the issue to Justin.

You need to change your thread title, there's no "LaserFlow" .

On a side note, I'm rather disappointed that they sell the exact same laser, just with bumped up current, in price range of $400 to $800.

It's exactly the same laser. Most priciest component of them all is exactly the same. Maybe, just maybe they have different drivers in there, to cope with higher currents but is that worth $400?!

DJNY

I would love to get one for side-to-side comarison with mine. The Laserglow one has a shutter, mine not. About divergence, beam diameter I dont know :thinking:
But it must have good correction otics for the higher rice compared to my CNI.

@Event Horizon
Could you tell us more about the beam characteristics?
I'm mostly interested in what the true beam shape and divergence is like.

Obviously I don't expect a perfect profile, but could you tell us if the beam is superior to what we get with hobby stuff? :)

0.9mRad + 4mm beam diameter sounds good.

Not sure why you would want it though, with so much cheaper and more powerful models available, and the lab modules that are getting pretty good divergance, they certainly have some competition.

@Event Horizon
Could you tell us more about the beam characteristics?
I'm mostly interested in what the true beam shape and divergence is like.

Obviously I don't expect a perfect profile, but could you tell us if the beam is superior to what we get with hobby stuff? :)

0.9mRad + 4mm beam diameter sounds good.

That would be really interesting.

Now I've recovered from reeling at the prices, the issue of beam characteristics never occured to me, and if they are much better than the alternatives, then maybe they are reasonable value.

Just noticed that they are continuous duty cycle too.

Not sure why you would want it though, with so much cheaper and more powerful models available, and the lab modules that are getting pretty good divergance, they certainly have some competition.

It's not all about power you know....

Once again, I don't in any way represent Laserglow and my opinions are just that, my own. Nothing that I say should be considered guaranteed specifications.

The Polaris (and the Hydra and Hydra Pro) use optics specially designed for diode lasers that extract the portion of the output beam that is the most usable. The result is a more or less circular beam with better than usual characteristics. The tradeoff is that some output power is lost, and the resulting beam has an unusual power distribution. Divergence is usually less then a mRad. The power distribution within the beam looks like that of a 405nm diode.

Here is a link to a picture of a typical profile of a 445nm beam.
http://imgur.com/QEMGk.jpg

So do you think they are using the projector diodes, and just slicing off most of the beam?

Actually, the shutter and the optics make me really consider this. hmm...