Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser66/leadlight LPC-826 build

Pman

So, I just got in a few more LPC-826 diodes and it was time to build the second to last laser66 (unless someone can come up with another Laser66 that is;). The problem with this build is that the diode is negative and you can't fit a standard module inside it without isolating it somehow as the walls of the host are too thin to make the inside diameter wider. Here is my solution:

The parts. The plastic insert to keep the batteries from rattling is the white tube that I removed. The diode pressed in, soldered, heat-sinked and glued for support. The AixiZ driver is already set just passed the max point which takes it out of regulation and output is based on input. The diode cannot take (2) 10440 so I am using (2) 10440 size LiFePO4 cells which fully charge to 3.7V instead of 4.2V:
7xU4DI.jpg

Module has an open back end as the driver will not fit otherwise:
CiuWro.jpg

See how I have dish pan hands now instead of all cracked from when I used to work:)
Bt3PDw.jpg

sXoo0D.jpg

I had more than one option to try and fit the negative wire to the battery end but they ended up in either trying to cut the wire or too tight to easily get the batteries back out. One was splitting the battery holder down the middle and running a wire between the gap. Another was to make heat-shrink tubing (which is thinner than the battery tube) to fit inside so the wire could fit. On the end cap I had tried to remove enough material inside it to allow the negative wire to fit alongside the battery into it but I realized that it would not be thin enough to not break the wire insulation while screwing it on after taping the wire to the battery negative end. None of those ways worked well enough that there wasn't a significant risk that the wire would short to the host so no dice.

xMmA1H.jpg

VarIkg.jpg

baKGM0.jpg

The final decision turned out to work really well and is simple. Remove any battery holder and run the wire and the batteries down the now much more spacious tube and attach the wire to the side of the battery as that's still the negative.
xcMFH0.jpg

Fully charged it hits just over 400mW and with an acrylic lens it hits about 340mW. This pic was one I took later at 331mW. If you set the driver to max (and not past it) it will give you about 260mW:
A3EJGE.jpg

nj8y0q.jpg

aGmg8h.jpg

FnGWT3.jpg

8eu88V.jpg

Through a light bulb onto a white wall. I really like the color:
ZLv2Fh.jpg

U7mwyc.jpg

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice Pete, I really like that color too, good job!
You mentioned that if you leave the driver set to max., the output is 260mW, that's with the acrylic lens and not the G-2, correct?

GSS

Now I can see why the love of red is coming back I can describe it as kinda as a ripe sweet apple! Way nice build again, but I had to go back and keep re reading the neg diode aspect and its wiring settings. Thats what its there for:beer: I dont think I saw mention of it being hot after use so it probably wasn't much of an issue:beer:

Hi Pman,
yes indeed you the man again those 660's are awesome i myself bought 5 ... Yep red no orange nice WL for the money . Thanks for introducing them to me . 670 and 680 would be nice to . Not to many red builds personally i like em. Fantastic beam shots P.. Lets see more if you can and feel up to it.
Rep if i can buddy

Rich:)

Last edited:

Pman

I just tested a regular one and it looks like it's around 220-240mW with an acrylic.

Last edited:
Hi P,
240 with acrylic that's great these guys can't take to much but what a WL. 330mW of 660nm awesome build P..

Pman

Yup, 330+with acrylic and just over 400mW with G. I always test with a G lens and then put on whatever is appropriate. It's about twice as bright as a 405nm.

Last edited:

Pman

By the way, I tried to get really tricky with another different build (not a pen) with one of these that required me to trick the host/diode from the case negative issue with the diode and it went poof:) Oh well, at least my new 30V 10A VDC power supply is out for delivery.

Hi P,
Trial and error name of theme, glad to here your PSU is on the way . I don't know what i would do without it totally lost to be honest. Thank god these diodes are cheap so you don't mind an oops now and then. Keep up the good work your builds are great to watch..

I don't quite get how you couldn't get more pens.. When I ordered mine(no communication) it arrived within a week. Btw, there's always chance you can make a dispute of its not shipped out after a week. I think Will doesn't use his email often but when a paypal comes in, he gets it rite away. Just order couple bunch and if it doesn't happen to ship, make a dispute or decline payment.. :)

Thanks,

Pman

Tell me again how you ordered in a PM.
Other issue is I believe all the switches were purchased so more of a pain now:( Could be wrong though.
I finished all of my single mode builds yesterday. I'm thinking of posting all of them at once soon. I've posted many builds on the weekend before but I don't know if I will do that this time. I do have to post a few regular builds first though so maybe I'll do that tomorrow if I'm up to it.