Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser TV FINALLY!!

Kenom

I don't know for sure when it was released or how readily available it is, but it seems Mitsubishi is the only one that's got the thing on the market right now. I've got a youtube video of the monster at 65" and what a beauty she is...
A90.png

NOT THE GIRL ON THE SCREEN, THE TV YA DOLT!

If your always wanting to be at the absolute fore of current technology when it comes to computers and televisions, this is the beauty for you.
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/L65A90

They even reviewed it over at time magazine.
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1848456,00.html

What you say?!?! $7,000? well sign me up.. do you take $.25 payments?

Last edited:

Asherz

Awsooom,

I was looking at some previews of this on youtube a while ago, I just put an order in for one and having my private butler collect it via my private jet tommorow morning after lunch with the queen in my underwater mansion.

I'll get pix when it arrives :p

Asherz you have a lot of private things. me personally i like exotics. i rise in the morning from my baby bald eagle down feather pillow slip on my rare sea tortise shell clogs go down stairs and make me an osterich egg omelete with grilled bush meat with my ivory place setting. then by noon i will be ready for my afternoon cocktail, a mint julep made with moraccan mint, anarctric ice and Hanana Club cuban rum. mmmmm (fyi i do not have any of that, well except for the havnan club) But that tv sure is awesome. I couldnt find pricing. could you guys?

michael

Last edited:

Asherz

Asherz you have a lot of private things. me personally i like exotics. i rise in the morning from my baby bald eagle down feather pillow slip on my rare sea tortise shell clogs go down stairs and make me an osterich egg omelete with grilled bush meat with my ivory place setting. then by noon i will be ready for my afternoon cocktail, a mint julep made with moraccan mint, anarctric ice and Hanana Club cuban rum. mmmmm (fyi i do not have any of that, well except for the havnan club) But that tv sure is awesome. I couldnt find pricing. could you guys?

michael

I just got owned :p

Anyways, it does look like a great TV, my dad just purchased a Pioneer 52" which is lovvvellllyy, have no idea if it was around the same price as this though :)

Mits has this TV out, but laser TV still isn't ready for primetime. Without diodes to make all three colors, this TV will be bigger, heavier, less energy efficient, and more expensive than it will be once these things are ready. ("ready" being when diodes of all 3 colors are available). On top of being bigger, heavier, less efficient, and more expensive, the current laser TVs are still not as good in color range as they will be when diodes are available, though they are better than plasma and LCD in color gamut already.

One day soon, we'll have green laser diodes and will then have laser TVs that are everything they are meant to be. Plus, we'll have nifty awesome laser projectors in cell phone sized packages, and possibly even inside cellphones. Awesome.

^And that is not a laser projector. Not in the slightest.

Still waiting on "nifty awesome LASER projectors".

Again, everything out there now is DPSS, or not laser-based at all (which that projector is not laser-based). Wait we're waiting for is green electrically-pumped laser diodes, that don't have to rely on DPSS to make green light. When we ever get to that, THEN we'll start seeing the really great products and start seeing some more of the real potential of lasers/laser displays.

^Not a problem.

You can tell it's not laser in the images. First, they show that there is an adjustable-focus objective lens for the output of the projector. Now I may be mistaken, but I believe it would be generally accepted practice to collimate the beam before the scanning/rastering system, therefore making adjustable focus after the scanning implement completely unnecessary.

Then, in the image where the phone is projecting on the wall: there is a brightness gradient, the image is much brighter in the center and fades significantly at the edges. That wouldn't happen with a laser projector, the dot would be just as bright over the entire image.

Kenom

I donno, I find it hard to believe that they packaged DPSS lasers into this module

for those that didn't read the price. $6,999

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2669538.png
    vlcsnap-2669538.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,179
http://www.oled-display.info/what-is-necsel-technology

From the site:

"Necsel combines the best qualities of competing semiconductor laser technologies! The high power output of edge-emitters with the manufacturability and affordability of VCSELS.This unique combination makes it the ideal solution for demanding, high volume display applications. Necsel is a revolutionary, patented, semiconductor laser technology platform based on high-power surface emitting diode lasers. Necsel emitters produce diffraction-limited Gaussian beams of infrared (IR) light, which are easily frequency doubled to make visible wavelengths. Constructed with standard InGaAs semiconductor material, they can be manufactured with wafer-scale methods and known-good-die techniques."

And it includes this picture, the same Necsel emitter you linked to:

necsel.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

ETA: Although we are getting closer to green diodes all the time. Multiple groups have published electrically-pumped 500nm lasers this year, and I've heard a rumor that Nichia is reporting (or about to report) 513nm electrically pumped. As the rumor goes, the 513nm is not really in a design that would be in any way viable for production, but it's a laser, so it proves the concept and sets the record, at least for the moment. How they reportedly did it is pretty crazy, and probably won't be the form of any successful commercial laser in the future, but again, it's the proof of concept.

Last edited:
This is the module that is in the TV, although this article was made in september 2006, so I'm pretty sure the red is now at the desired power level of 3W.

"Novalux's prototype Necsel devices emit 3 W at 465 nm and 532 nm and 750nbsp;mW at 620 nm - all from a new package smaller than a matchbox. Necsel lasers' output is bright, speckle-free, and color-saturated, giving in clear, vibrant images that reach a larger color space than competing lighting technologies."

yes, that's almost 7W of laser awesomeness from a matchbox sized component. 3W 465nm, 3W 532nm and now it probably has 3W of 620nm... I'm drooling here.

They used 620nm to match the current red phosphor of TV's... IMO they should have gone a little further into the red, maybe 635, for a super 'rich' looking red.