Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser "Tune Up" service?

I bought this laser (532nm):

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/laser-review-rayfoss-style-700mw-532nm-handheld-laser-60249.html

And when in the process of trying to find a way to mount an IR filter that was simply too large, I accidentally knocked off the collimating lens directly attached to the KTP crystal assembly.

I've managed to get it back on and the thing still lases just fine, and the focus/beam profile is okay... But I'm anal and think it could be WAY better.

Anyway, I don't have the technical ability yet to be able to properly mount the lenses on there and have it work totally properly.

So here's what I wanted to do:

I wanted to see if there was a trusted member here who would be able to perform a "laser tune up" to see if there's more that could be gotten out of this thing. I know it's capable of VERY strong output but it seems to be stupid lately, and I'd be willing to pay for labor and parts.
I'd also pay for the shipping in both directions to get it there and back.

Is there anyone who'd be interested in doing something like this?

Basically what I'd want is:

A - Proper mounting of the lenses to ensure a decent beam profile.
B - Any necessary realignments of crystal sets (I noticed they're crooked, but it could be totally fine)
C - Addition of an IR filter
D - Anything else that could be done basically to help increase output/performance and beam profile.

It's not an easy undertaking but I'd be curious to see who'd be up for the challenge and who might be able to make it work awesome vs. Pretty good.

anselm

I suppose I COULD mount the expanding lens, and I certainly CAN put a IR filter in there.
halifax2011012600134.jpg

This lens on top is what you knocked off and re-attached, right?
The distance from the crystals is pretty much fixed here, so you can only hope to get it
perfectly centered, so the beam comes out perfectly straight.

I would NOT dare to touch the crystals themselves, though.

Also, I live too far away, shipping time and fees....
If noone steps up, I'd shoot the some of the really senior members a PM.
Good luck.

Are you sure it's performing worse than before, and it's not the batteries?

Last edited:
I'm postive it's performing worse than before. And yes, it was the little lens I knocked off by accident. I also don't want to mess with the crystals, but I know some other senior members have done things like this before and had it turn out well.

At any rate, I checked batteries, etc. and it's definitely the laser itself, but I don't have the tools to figure out exactly where the failure is occuring. It only started happening after I bumped the lens off the top so I figure I did something like put a little bit of dust or glue maybe on the crystal (though I hope not)

It still outputs quite a lot, almost double the brightness of my 200mW but it's not consistent like it used to be.

That's what I get for trying to put an IR filter on there :(

I have steady hands for these, I think. The crap is that int'l shipping to USA here costs ~$30 :D let alone Canada. Lets hope some experient member comes in. ;)