Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser show software

Are there any free software that offers the ability to draw out your own graphics as well as text that is fairly decent? If so where would i be able to find these applications? The hardware that i am using is a soundcard dac along with 20kpps scanners.

LSRFAQ

Are there any free software that offers the ability to draw out your own graphics as well as text that is fairly decent? If so where would i be able to find these applications? The hardware that i am using is a soundcard dac along with 20kpps scanners.

It has a steep learning curve, but you want LFI Player. It however is very capable and has scripting and real time functions. Just be ready for a 1996 style user interface, ie win 3.11 style. You'll have to read the manual.

Its on sourceforge

Steve

I have downloaded that software and was completly lost on how to use it. When you say sctipting, do i need to know c++ for that? And where do i input the script at? I slso was reading up on it and found out that there is a live generator and a function for it to go along with music, how do i activate that in the program?

LSRFAQ

I have downloaded that software and was completly lost on how to use it. When you say sctipting, do i need to know c++ for that? And where do i input the script at? I slso was reading up on it and found out that there is a live generator and a function for it to go along with music, how do i activate that in the program?

One, get the compiled version. Two, load a existing abstract. Three, go over to Photon Lexicon or Laserboy forums for some support. four, Mike, the creator will help via email.

Scripting is human readable ascii text, load notepad on your PC and your all set. You load the script. Welcome to Win 3.11 style user interfaces. There are 4 icons at the top left with letters like abs, cts, etc. These load the scripts, abstracts, live consoles etc.

make sure you download the sample files.

Steve

Just to help pound it in:

make sure you download the sample files.

Steve

^^Hugely important. I had a bitch of a time figuring out the scripted features of LFI, until I had the samples to pick apart.. they were HUGELY helpful.

i am so confused in that program, i downloaded the demo files and when ever i play the "demo.clv" file it always pops up an error, and the live console goes away. I have tried to set my path correctly but im just not getting it. i am also very confused to how you make your own .ild file.

Making your own .ild files is best done with different software IMO.. My favorite involves using Inkscape (free from sourceforge) to create .dxf files, and then using drlava's ILD SOS (costs $25 last I checked) to convert the .dxf files to .ild files. I know it's not free, but it is cheap and does a great job..

Regarding your LFI issues, have you tried contacting it's creator through sourceforge or PL? I can't remember what his username is on PL, but if you were to post something like "looking for LFI player developer" or something like that you'd be able to get a hold of him pretty quick.

As far as IMO works, am I able to make complex looking laser shows such as nice beam shows and animated graphics as well too? Also how easy is the program to operate? Does it require any scripting?

No scripting. They're all GUI, but you do often need to enter many parameters. A good 3 minute show will take many hours to program.

hahah my bad elektroFreak. so the way that this is looking i am just better off buying spaghetti? becasue it seems like i have all the tools in there to make a good laser show without the hassle that these programs have, unless you guys know of any other cheaper software that will allow me to do great shows? without any trouble such as scripting or using multiple programs

And therein lies Gary's secret.. ;)

Although if you put a little effort into LFI player it's amazing..

lol what? do you just use pre-made ilda files and put those together to make your show? i just dont get how i make animated graphics..thats where im lost

Last edited:
Gary is the guy that writes Spaghetti.. I was referring to the fact that what you are describing is why Gary charges for his software.

All of the free/very cheap software has steep learning curves.. it's not by design, but it's sort of the price you pay for the lack of monetary expense. There is software out there that will do what you want, but it seems like you're seeking simplicity and ease of use. Unfortunately the way things are today you'll have to pay decent money for your software or write the next big piece of laser show software if you have the skills. I wish I had better answers, but that's just how it is.

When I make a show (I do beam shows primarily, so nothing but a bunch of shapes, lines, curves, zig-zags, etc.) I use some frames I've made myself using Inkscape/ILD SOS, and I use many frames that are premade. Animated graphics are harder, and the only cheap solutions I know of require you to work like an animator, frame by frame.

ohh gotcha, so no matter what the only way to make my own animated graphics would be to make it frame by frame anyways? you cant set any key frames or things like that in any software? and i wonder if theres a way to convert giff files to ilda beacuse that would be a great tool to have

ohh gotcha, so no matter what the only way to make my own animated graphics would be to make it frame by frame anyways? you cant set any key frames or things like that in any software? and i wonder if theres a way to convert giff files to ilda beacuse that would be a great tool to have

you can't do those things with the free or cheap options.. there is paid software out there that allows you to take full 3d animations directly from 3Dsmax and create full 3D laser animations, or render frames directly from images, and probably many others as well.. but it'll cost you no matter which option you pick.