Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Show Host:

Re: The Box

I first looked at that and thought 'you're putting your scanner in a SAFE?'

But now I read it's just a metal locker thing. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, just make sure everything will fit in it!

Mind you, for $54 dollars you could almost buy a crappy DMX scanner off eBay, gut it, and use that! And have a ton of parts as well ;D

cheap scanner box would not hold everything tho.. this is way better..

Yeah, I figure as much. If you're trying to stick 3 modules in there you probably wouldn't get it all in.

But if you could, it would be great because all the mounts, sockets, openings and even the fan are all in place already :)

SO..... this is what im looking for.. anyone that can fine something like this cheaper, please let me know.

dont use this its super thin and you need something sturdy not 16 gauge steel.

a piece of aluminum would be way better!

or even a pelican case.

but steer far away from that please

its just the enclosure.. i have 2 pieces of 1/4" alluminum to mount stuff to.

I just purchased a second hand, non working,  Abyss 2 light show from ebay for less than a third of that price delivered, nice black painted box with fan and mounting bracket.
I was going to strip it out to use it for a scanner build..... trouble is within 5 minutes of unwrapping it I got it working :)......

The search goes on for one that will never work again..... But seriously dead disco lights come up on ebay quite often and often go for bargain prices.

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
I just purchased a second hand, non working,  Abyss 2 light show from ebay for less than a third of that price delivered, nice black painted box with fan and mounting bracket.
I was going to strip it out to use it for a scanner build..... trouble is within 5 minutes of unwrapping it I got it working :)......

The search goes on for one that will never work again..... But seriously dead disco lights come up on ebay quite often and often go for bargain prices.

Regards rog8811

True.

They are usually simple problems like a dry joint and the owner has no idea.

no projectors are allowed to have much stronger than 5mw.

to be approved it just has to have certain requirements done.

thesk8nmidget said:
no projectors are allowed to have much stronger than 5mw.

to be approved it just has to have certain requirements done.

this is totally untrue. the FDA has few limits on the POWER (aka mW) of a projector, all the regulations are about safety including fail-safes, key locks, scan speed, etc. CROWD SCANNING is HIGHLY REGULATED and you SHOULD NOT DO IT unless you COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND AND CONFORM TO ALL SAFETY REGULATIONS.

That being said, high power (over 300mW) scanners are routinely sold and are safe to use in a non crowd scanning situation.

but back to the point...

scanner/projector host ideas... any 12 inch cube would be nice. i have looked into a few options, anyone have any other ideas?

I'm building a RGB scanner. 15" square will work if you have the optics to bend the beams. Allignment will be a problem debending on the size of the components. The height will allow two levels for power supplys and optic table but getting to the adjustments might be a trick.

Mike