Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Safety

I've recently bought a 500mw green diode laser for a laser harp project.

This is the module.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/120916132428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I read sam's faq for safety and I have some questions.

If I want to use this harp for a live performance, I obviously need to use glasses and gloves, but what about the people seeing the show?

I have been searching safety glasses but most of the sellers or shops didn't specify for what type of laser are made.

I recently asked to Aixiz lasers (online shop) about this and they answered me that the glasses will protect you if the wavelengths of both laser and glasses are the same, no matter the type of laser you use.

I think they're wrong, so I didn't buy any goggles.

The laser is still in the box...

Thanks everything.

I've recently bought a 500mw
green diode laser
for a laser harp project.

Probably not. Although I think rhd has one or two ;)

If I want to use this harp for a live performance, I obviously need to use glasses and gloves, but what about the people seeing the show?

Sounds like a lot of goggles :na:

I recently asked to Aixiz lasers (online shop)

You probably didn't need to put that, nearly every laser hobbyist here has used an Aixiz module at some point or another, so they're aware it's an online shop :)

Last edited:
Well, if it isn´t a diode type laser, what kind of laser is it?

I think a laser harp isn´t a multi target sniper... The beams aren´t aiming to the head of anyone in the room.

In a sticky on this forum i found a 532nm od4+ safety glasses for 32$ (laser2go). Are those glasses a good buy for the laser i will use?

Thanks again.

DrSid

Greens are usually DPSS lasers. For safety reasons you should know it is possible that it shines not only in green wavelength, but also in infrared. Good green lasers have IR filter in them. Bad ones don't. In such case you would need goggles which cover both green and infrared, which are a lot more expansive.

Thanks for your good answer. I will take care about that while searching glasses.

Is there a way to know if the laser i already bought has the ir filter? Without burning things or similar... I don´t have laser meters and all that stuff...

Also, do you know if someone in this forum has glasses for both green and ir, and where did he buy them?

Thanks everything.

DrSid

IR filtering should be mentioned in product description .. but there are often lying. If you had anti-green goggles, you could check IR with basically phone camera or web camera .. as they 'see' near IR rather well. You would block the green part of the beam with the goggles and see through the camera if there is something left (IR looks white or purple on these cams).
Best way would be to check that with laser power meter (LPM) .. but for that you would need the filter (goggles) too. If you ever try this with goggles, keep in mind that plastic ones could be easily burned through by 500mW in few seconds .. so use unfocused beam for that, and/or some are on the border of the goggles, where the damage would not limit their use.

What kind of material do you think the glasses need to be made out? For better resistance against direct exposure to the beam (rarely when you are playing with a laser harp and only need to see the 'strings' which are perpendicular to your vision field)

So my options are:

A pair of glasses for 532, 808 and 1064nm. (250$ maybe)
A pair of glasses for 532 and 1064nm
A pair of glasses for only 532. (cheapest).

I asked the seller of the laser and i'm waiting his answer...

Thanks DrSid again!

EDIT:

The seller answered me:

"This is a 532nm laser.But in the beam we cannot sure it is without any 808nm or 1064nm laser since it is a DPS laser.
But 90% of the beam is 532nm laser.We could email the data sheet to you please let us know your email address.
Any further questions please feel free let us know!
Thanks and regards,"

Last edited:
Thanks for your help!

With this price is a must. I will search for more.

Problematic? Do you know why? In this case i will buy one in other site haha.

DrSid

I mean like long shipment times. I bought some thing from them few years back and it was perfect. But if it is matter of few dollars, you can always just try it.

I bought lots of things in online shops and the shipment times were about between 4 and 20 days maybe. I´m working on the harp in my free time so shipment time is not a problem.

If the products are good, i think i will try this website.

Thanks man!