Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser review: IQS #100 (aka "My little freak") w/custom host

I have to simply start out by saying:

Holy. #^(<!^@. $#!^.

This thing is a little monster.

Okay, So here's what I did. I got my laser today from IQS, and YES I'm in Canada and YES - for a little extra he shipped up to me and YES this laser is EVERYTHING I was hoping for and more.

There is a very small way in which I'm disappointed, but it's mostly because of HOW powerful this thing is compared to a laser I paid 250$ for... Compared to this little guy for whom I paid I think... What? 32$ including shipping.

There is OBVIOUS quality differences, but I have to say this is BY FAR the biggest bang for my buck laser I've *ever* purchased ever.

So let me start with the pictures.

I haven't been a fan of mini-hosts, so I had the intention of moving this to a larger host anyway, but for the sake of the review I won't show the conversion process nor the insides of the diode/assembly. I'll mostly show the laser itself with before/after pics and beamshots compared to my 250~ mW Sky-Lasers 532nm.

Shipping was more than sufficient, pretty quick even despite Canadian customs, and everything arrived safely.

halifax2011012500067.jpg

Just for a size comparison to hopefully something someone else would be familiar with:

halifax2011012500068.jpg

Left to right:

PriceAngels True 50mw laser (And pretty close once you let it warm up)
IQS #100 100~ mW laser
PriceAngels "200mW" laser (host, I ripped it apart when it didn't work)
Sky-Lasers 200mW (Closer to 250mW average, 280mW peak)

So for prying minds: Measuring time:

halifax2011012500069.jpg

Annnnd, the height with the tail cap.

halifax2011012500070.jpg

Now let me explain what the deal is. I don't like these itty bitty hosts. I like larger hosts... Ones that feel pretty solid in the hand. I REALLY like the Sky-lasers PLC-type hosts, and anything similar to that is preferred/ideal for me.

The other thing is this: I remembered others mentioning that you can take the 3.0v CR123 batteries, and pop in a 3.7V rechargeable and it seems to get more power out of it.

I figured... Well if I have a host that can handle a 18650, why wouldn't I use that? It's 3.7-4.2V. It should work and if it blows up my little monster, then it's 32$ for a lesson well learned and something I can share with the forum. I don't mind losing as long as it's for learning.

ANYWAY.

I decided, I'll take the already ridiculously powerful module out of the little host, place it into my larger host from PriceAngels and have something a little more to my liking.

And this is where things change a little.

halifax2011012500071.jpg

I will continue the review as the updated/new host with the same laser module being driven from an 18650 battery instead of a CR123 primary.

halifax2011012500072.jpg

This is the module on the inside, and I'm surprised it fit SO well in there. There were some mods I had to do to the adjustable lens on the head of the PriceAngels laser, but otherwise it worked just fine. Little removal of some insides, and a couple drops of super glue and voilà.

Anyway - back to the module:

halifax2011012500073.jpg

This is where I stripped the insides basically. I plan on putting an IR filter in where that hole is right now eventually, just to make sure it's filtered green.

halifax2011012500074.jpg

Some random size comparisons.

halifax2011012500075.jpg

Okay, so now that everything was moved over, some beamshots. This is actually where I got a little... "upset"

halifax2011012500076.jpg

The one on the left is my Sky-Lasers (which has a much wider beam) and the one on the right is the modded IQS laser. Yes, I recognize that the beam is brighter on the right, simply because it's a much tighter beam profile. That being said, the dot itself looks brighter on the wall too.

halifax2011012500078.jpg

This is a closeup of the dots themselves. The dot on the left is perfect TEM00 and the one on the right has a very very small amount of mode hopping, but honestly the IQS laser, when driven by the 18650, is EXTREMELY stable and has virtually 0 warm-up time before putting out basically full power. Also, the duty-cycle is basically a 1 minute on, 1 minute off cycle. I do notice that it warms up a fair amount after 1 minute, but not nearly enough to say that it's dangerously hot. Just enough that it needs a break.

halifax2011012500079.jpg

Okay, some beamshots. (I realize that it's a cell phone and I have no other alternative right now. Some day I'll get a nicer camera and take some reasonable shots)

halifax2011012500081.jpg

IQS on the left, Sky-Lasers on the right.

halifax2011012500082.jpg

IQS into the night through a window... And the divergence seriously rivals my Sky-lasers. I haven't calculated it, but it's TIGHT. Far tighter than any other laser I've ever owned with the exception of the Sky-Lasers. Ignore the shaky camera - the divergence looks like it sucks but it's really just my shaky hands.

halifax2011012500083.jpg

halifax2011012500084.jpg

And just a random "Bouncing lasers off of mirrors" shot:

halifax2011012500086.jpg

That's all I have for now. When I get myself a LPM, I'd LOVE to know how powerful this ACTUALLY is, but (and as unreliable as it is) just by "eyeballing" it's very very close to being as bright as my 200mW Sky-Lasers.

I definitely need a LPM, especially with this little monster...

But it's powerful enough that it's popped balloons (Red, no black dot) from over 15 feet away, in under 5 seconds.

My Sky-lasers won't do that unless I focus it. (It's a wider beam anyway, I get that.)

I'm uploading videos to youtube, one of popping balloons, and another of burning matches. As soon as they're uploaded, I'll add them here.

Overall:

Fast shipping, AMAZING product and while I know I'm pushing the laser beyond it's intended limits, this sucker is REALLY powerful compared to any other laser I've purchased for it's price.

Incredible.

I can't wait to get one of his 200mW greenies.

**Edit**

Added Video:

*WARNING* - For the above video, please be aware that there *IS* swearing from my roommate. He's got no "internal dialog sensor" it seems, but if you can get past that (or don't mind), it's actually pretty funny.

The funny part of the dialog:

Chris: "Can I go pee or am I gunna get hit?"
Me: "It should be fine"
Chris: "It's like... Bubbling at the one side. *pause* (From in the bathroom) It ain't gunna work!"
Me: "It IS gunna work. ... Aww maybe not... *Balloon pops* Ahh, there we go"
Chris in bathroom: "EHHHHHHH, OPAAAAA"

The next one here:

This one is just a match burning one. I didn't set up the custom host to be adjustable with the focal point, (It is but it's a mess to get it back to infinity like I have it) so I used a focal lens instead. I couldn't see exactly where it was focusing but I knew it was close. I had done more experiments with focal length and was able to get the laser to burn MUCH faster but this was the only one I took a video of.

Last edited:

What did you calculate for the mRad of yours? I have the same one and figured it was 0.846 rougly. Mine has a rather rough, oval dot at 40 feet but is still insane for how cheap it is. Also its the first green Ive had that could light a match when focused down (this is like my 4th or 5th greenie). Great addition for any collection.

What did you calculate for the mRad of yours? I have the same one and figured it was 0.846 rougly. Mine has a rather rough, oval dot at 40 feet but is still insane for how cheap it is. Also its the first green Ive had that could light a match when focused down (this is like my 4th or 5th greenie). Great addition for any collection.

I haven't actually calculated anything just yet. I'd REALLY like to get a really clear night and try and calculate it at a HUGE distance (500m) to get a better idea of accuracy, but the longest spot in my house is in the basement.

Anyway, I haven't calculated the divergence yet, but compared to every other laser I own, it's easily the best with 1 exception being my Sky-lasers greenie... But that being said the diameter of the beam at the aperature exit is almost 3.5mm.

I'll see if I can calculate a reaonsable divergence tonight and add it to the review :)

I was curious to see if I was even close in my measurements since I dont have a mm ruler, had to use a tape and go by 1/32nds

Ahhh, makes sense.

Well, I'll do my best, probably do a measurement at 20 or 30 feet, and get the dot size there and figure it out from that distance.

:)

great review! Glad everything worked out for Canadian shipping!

Arshus

Nice review! I noticed that you were right about the IQS being brighter on the wall than your skylaser, and I think I may know why.

Even if your skylasers meters at a higher output, it will appear less bright if a higher percentage of that output is IR. For some reason IQS lasers have a very low IR emmitance, so it "looks" like its brighter, even though there is less total output, because there is more GREEN.

I hope that doesnt make you more angry... and I hope its not the case but it looks that way and I know those symptoms from personal experience :p

-Sal

Arshus

ItemQuickShip, hes an ebay seller in louisiana, he sells lpf lasers at a discounted rate.