Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser retina damage

Can the opticians tell you if you have a hole in your retina with there kit?

I was worried about my eyes but went to the opticians and they said I have healthy eyes and good sight, but my eye feels strange...

Thanks

Opticians???
It depends on the tools they have.
Opticians are here to fit glasses , not do clinical trials.

To test for retina damage , you are better off going for Primary Eye care from a optometrist , if he spots any notable damage . He'll recommend you to an opthamologist.

Difference between an Ophthalmologist, Optometrist and Optician ? AAPOS

Best of luck to you matie.

Perhaps you can elaborate on how does your eye feel strange?
What kind of pain is it ?

How did it happen?

The more details , the better.
Details about the laser that caused your discomfort would be of great help too.

Last edited:

DrSid

Basically you need retina photo. It's a device you look into, and it flashes brightly into your eyes. It's only way to see retina damage.

They'll squirt some iris dilation drops onto your eye and then they'll take a retina photo of your eye and then test your eye pressure ,etc etc etc.

Seriously , just go for Primary Eyecare.
Its a MUST for fellow laser hobbyists

Thanks for all your replies, I was on holiday for 2 weeks and during that time my eye either repaired itself or I was imagining the eye damage and forgot about it completely.
Either way I am very happy it was nothing permanent!

Now I know to never let a friend borrow my laser again!
My friend was messing around, when none of us were wearing goggles, he shone it at a reflective tin-foil (disposable BBQ) like surface and it hit my eye. I was very worried for a while.

Thanks again for the answers, and my thoughts are with anyone with permanent eye damage.

It was an overspec eBay laser (<2mW) which turned out to be 79mW!
Be careful with them!

Last edited:

DrSid

You can't be sure there is no permanent damage. It does not hurt, and it can be impossible to notice. In general, retina damage itself does not recover. If the damage is small, you might never notice it and never have problems with it. Still it's better to know for sure.
But hey .. it's your eyes ..

You can't be sure there is no permanent damage. It does not hurt, and it can be impossible to notice. In general, retina damage itself does not recover. If the damage is small, you might never notice it and never have problems with it. Still it's better to know for sure.
But hey .. it's your eyes ..

I'm pretty sure there is nothing! :D

It's a big lesson though! Don't trust friends with your laser

An Amsler grid will do a quick check for you... there's a thread on here

Aww come on.
Don't be scared of doctors.
As a matter of fact I am sitting in my college's optometrist clinic as I type this message.
Your parents won't be mad at you for being safe.
They'll be mad at you for hiding your injuries.

When you get to work some day and you conceal incidents from your supervisors , that's grounds for criminal charges in some dangerous works

Just got back from the doc.
My eyes are fine , but she did spot some cornea abrasion for some reason , so she gave me some antibiotic eye drops .
Interesting.
I don't remember my eyes hurting or being photophobic or anything .
But there you have it . It says so when she did a phorescent cornea abrasion test. And there were quite a bit of horizontal scratch marks on it.

Protected my eyes with goggles, but still temporarily damaged it by rubbing my eye :crackup: