Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Recommendations - 445nm Diode?

**LASER NEWBIE WARNING** EXERCISE PROTECTION lol

Anyway, I'm new to lasers but a pretty handy DIY-er. I'm looking for some recommendations on a good laser setup for some wood engraving/burning. I stumbled on a few of the 445nm diodes on ebay claiming to be in the 1.5-2W range and they seem to fullfill my need but I wanted to get some educated input before I pulled the trigger on anything.

I've built a couple hobby style CNC routers etc and want to build a small laser engraver for branding some small wooden objects. I can deal with slow feed rates as it's very small run stuff, it just needs to last. What's the realistic life span on these things?

Any recommendations on parts / kits? What all do I need realistically?

THANKS!!!! AWESOME SITE!

well for just burn a slight image a 445nm can do that. if it was for cutting out shapes i would say go with a 40w co2 laser
a 445nm lab laser with TTL driver would work for you. you should also get a 405-g1 or g2 lens to increase burning. make sure to make a cover around the laser and what its burning kinda like a brush attachment for a vacuum with a fan so smoke wont dirty the lens and also you wont see the burning light as it could damage