Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Pointer/Headband?

Hi All,

I recently had a whiplash injury and my physical therapist has recommended using a laser pointer mounted on a headband in order to help my recovery. Basically, I get really dizzy when I exercise and this is because my brain has lost its ability to detect where my head and neck are moving. So I have to retrain it by fixing my head in a static position while exercising (which is where the laser pointer comes in).

Does anyone know where I can get a small laser pointer? The pen-like devices are too large. I was hoping for something that I could place on my forehead or maybe on the top of my head and then attach it to a headband.

Any ideas welcome!

I take it you've asked the therapist? If this is their professional opinion, they should be able to tell you where you can buy one.

A custom made one wouldn't be cheap, what is your budget?

You can try using one of those keychain pointers that you can get at most drug stores and pet stores.
Keep the button down with some tape, a rubber band, or a zip tie and then affix it to something you can put on your head.

It should cost no more than $5.

Is there an alternative way to physically keep your head in place?
What kind of exercise? Pumping iron? Jogging?

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks, guys. I've asked the therapist and she said she'll be sending me a link for the actual product. I suspect it's probably really expensive though, so I was hoping for a DIY solution.

RA, thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking at some of these keychain pointers on ebay. I'm wondering, though, if there is a smaller variant you're aware of. This is the best I can find so far.

Is there a laser pointer that is flatter/smaller/lighter?

This is a "module." All you need to do is connect the wires to a 3V power source (can be a 3V lithium CR2, 2 AAA batteries, or any other combination that results in 3V.

Besides what you found, this is about as small as it gets:
http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/59/products_id/303

Note that if you get something like this, the most difficult part would be getting the batteries to stay connected while you work out.
If it was my project, I would attach longer wires with magnets soldered to the end (so that they can easily connect and disconnect to the battery contacts) and make an incision or "pouch" in the headband to contain the batteries separately... or maybe use velcro or something.
Just a suggestion.

Do you have experience with soldering/DIY electronics?

Last edited:

Fiddy

i make a heatsink for my dead chinese head torch

131521880_head_lamp_s.jpg

and installed a laser in it running off the lasers driver its not very powerful.

RA, I don't have any experience with soldering. Flaminpyro, you're probably right. I think I'll just buy this and get a headband to try to make it work.

Thanks guys!

Just buy a baseball hat and attach a cheapo laser pointer to the bill with a clothespin. That clothespin or another can hold the button down too. No need for anything fancy especially if you don't even know if it'll really be useful.

The baseball hat idea is great! Thanks!

Will post the therapist-recommended unit as soon as I receive it.