Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Pointer for cat

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a laser pointer for my cat, and I have a particular requirement that it be powered by 1 or 2 AAA batteries. I would also prefer the laser to be green. I've also read that 1mw is the max power that is considered safe for this type of usage. Being a flashlight junkie myself, I have plenty of 18650 batteries, so that type of battery is fine as well, but at that point I'm assuming i'm getting into lasers far too powerful for what I need.

I've come across some candidates on a couple sites online, but I do not know how reputable their numbers and performance are, so I'll defer to anybody here who's more knowledgeable in the area.

As ultralight said, a cheap pen laser will be more than good enough for a cat toy.

However, I'd advise against getting a green laser. Try red or blue, they tend to be more stable at lower prices.

GSS

Please stay away from anything green or anything ebay in general. I don't understand the reason why you prefer green and I assume you want AA's or rechargebles for because longer usage and money savings. Those ebays or anything running of those battery sources are generally just way to overspec and I cringe at thought using them as cat toys. Just please go to the dollar store and get a bunch of red button cell ones at a $1 a piece you also get peace of mind;)...any ebay wether its red, blue, green 1mw or 5mw will most likely be 20mw to as much as 80mw.

Last edited:

Razako

Try to avoid those cheap pointers on ebay. Many of them are dangerously overspec for this kind of job. My <5mw red ebay pen laserpointer seems to be putting out well over 100mw and my green <5mw pointer seems to be in the 15-30 mw range. It's fine if you actually want a powerful laser, but these power levels could hurt your pet.

Probably go to a pet store and get an 'official' pet laser pointer if you don't want to risk your pet or your own eyes.

Last edited:

Encap

All of the generic low cost pointers then to be a lot more porwerful than 5mW and emit a lot of IR also.

Be very careful not to cause a direct hit to your pets eyes with it or damage could result.

Google "cat laser" there are hundreds of references and opinions.

PetSmart offeres several that are supposedly safe to use with pets Cat Toys: Interactive Toys for Cats & Kittens | PetSmart

Razako

I would recommend a 5mW 593.5nm(yellow) pointer for your cat. Only like $90 ;) :yh:

-Alex
Yeah, the laserglow rigel 2 should be plenty safe as a cat toy. I second this idea:D

I was thinking Green because on some of the threads I've researched, it seems people have noticed their cats are most attracted to green.

I would buy a cheap pet-centric laser pointer from a brick and mortar store, but I've also read reviews on them that they're either not bright enough or stop working soon enough-- or they don't have the battery types I'm looking for.

That's why I was weighing my options online, because I know I can usually get better performance for the price, and because I can consult with experienced laser users who know just what to recommend.

But if it's a matter of safety, then I'd gladly spend the 5 bucks on one of the cheap-o ones. It's funny that generic online laser pointers have the exact opposite problem of flashlights.

Razako

I was thinking Green because on some of the threads I've researched, it seems people have noticed their cats are most attracted to green.

I would buy a cheap pet-centric laser pointer from a brick and mortar store, but I've also read reviews on them that they're either not bright enough or stop working soon enough-- or they don't have the battery types I'm looking for.

That's why I was weighing my options online, because I know I can usually get better performance for the price, and because I can consult with experienced laser users who know just what to recommend.

But if it's a matter of safety, then I'd gladly spend the 5 bucks on one of the cheap-o ones. It's funny that generic online laser pointers have the exact opposite problem of flashlights.
If you're set on a green laser I'd recommend one of these probably.
https://www.laserglow.com/GLY
For $39 you'd get a quality green laser pointer with an IR filter and it would be guaranteed to be <5mw and eye safe. Much better than a $4 ebay penlaser which puts out 20-50mw of green and a bunch of IR.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Razako! Laserglow seems like the kind of manufacturer I was after.

40 dollars for a high quality, decently bright, and completely safe pointer sounds like a decent deal.

I already have an RCR123 battery, so I was wondering if their Taurus Series 635mm can accept those in addition to CR123 primaries? If not, that's fine, because of a single CR123's long runtime. I don't see any mention of IR filtering on the Taurus as well so of course that'd be a concern.

Razako

Thanks for the link, Razako! Laserglow seems like the kind of manufacturer I was after.

40 dollars for a high quality, decently bright, and completely safe pointer sounds like a decent deal.

I already have an RCR123 battery, so I was wondering if their Taurus Series 635mm can accept those in addition to CR123 primaries? If not, that's fine, because of a single CR123's long runtime. I don't see any mention of IR filtering on the Taurus as well so of course that'd be a concern.
The taurus is a direct diode laser so it doesn't produce any IR.

My cat loved my 532nm red.A decent 2aaa executive type pointer will work just fine.And it will be a safe 5mw too.EBAY lasers are very dangerous for a cat.I have a 7 dollar red pointer that at 98mw would be a great way to end up with a cat that walks into walls.The same goes for ebay greens...I seriously doubt any of them are pet safe.Sadly you will pay more for less power and more safety...but it is worth it.Quarton infiniters make good pet toys.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help.

I think I'm going to settle on the Taurus red that uses a CR123 primary. If possible I'll use a 3v rcr123 with it as well.

I did happen to pick up a cheapy from petsmart for 5 dollars, and the brightness is satisfactory, but it also tends to lose focus after about 20 feet, and the beam starts getting dispersed. I also have to hold down a side button to keep it on, which is a pain, and it uses the coin batteries which I do not like.

I'm thinking the clicky interface, lithium powered Taurus will do me just fine.