Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser on Airliner, User Arrested.

LSRFAQ

Quote:

Incident: Sun Country B737 near Spokane on Sep 5th 2013, smell of smoke as result of passenger laser burning holes

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Sep 6th 2013 17:36Z, last updated Saturday, Sep 7th 2013 17:24Z

A Sun Country Airlines Boeing 737-700, registration N716SY performing flight SY-283 from Minneapolis,MN to Seattle,WA (USA) with 105 passengers and 5 crew, was enroute at FL400 about 60nm east of Spokane,WA (USA) when the crew reported the smell of smoke on board and diverted to Spokane for a safe landing on runway 03 about 15 minutes later. Attending emergency services found no trace of fire, heat or smoke.

On Sep 7th Authorities reported the FBI arrested a passenger who had brought along home built laser devices and had operated those devices in flight burning a number of holes into aircraft seats around his seat resulting in the odour that prompted the diversion to Spokane.

Sun Country Airlines (SY) #283 ? 05-Sep-2013 ? KMSP - KSEA Flight Tracker ? FlightAware

End Quote.

No Comment, just posting for info.

Steve

djQUAN

I can imagine security tightening even more on bringing laser related stuff on handcarry bags.

Pilgor

I cannot understand how some people can be soo stupid, and yet, are still alive.

I can imagine security tightening even more on bringing laser related stuff on handcarry bags.

I cannot understand how some people can be soo stupid, and yet, are still alive.

I have to agree, it is incredible someone could be so stupid. Now it will probably be impossible to travel with a laser, no doubt even a 5mw pointer will not be allowed. Now I am sure that TSA (totally stupid ass's) will simply take them if they catch you trying to carry one on.

Alan

sinner

Hope they burn him with the same laser in places where he never knew could be burnt by a laser of his own!

NKO29

What a dumb piece of shit! Probably one of that idiot kipkay's fans

I blame the TSA. Isn't that what they're there for? To take the blame when something happens?

I can't find the article where I read this originally, but the guy supposedly build the laser. He was laid off at some point in the not too distant past, and he has a chemistry background.

I don't think we have to worry too much about lasers being confiscated during travel... just stick to keeping them in your luggage, disassembled. (I keep the more expensive parts in carry on, the tailcap and batteries travel in checked luggage. Even if TSA questions what it is, it's 100% legal, and 100% not functional. End of story, have a safe flight ;))

its these complete MORONS that ruin the fun for the rest of us...One or two worthless idiots think its fun to point their "omg guise my lazor" at an airplane, and us, the RESPONSIBLE hobbyists have to suffer along with them. hopefully nothing too serious comes of this, FDA is cracking down enough as it is...

Yes, there are those who point lasers at airplanes, and there are others who point lasers in airplanes.