Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser not working. Please help.

Hi. Im new to this forum and was hoping to find a little help on a laser I just purchased. I order a green 350mW laser from Dragon Lasers and after about two days of having it, it seems to be broken. When turn it on it powers up very slowly (it usually only took about 5-10secs to get bright) and isn't as bright as it was when I first bought it . The beam is barely visible now and next to the green dot theres like some sort of distortion coming off one side of the dot. Does anyone no if my laser is dying ir what? Could it be the battery? Its new as well, but could that be the problem? Its a 18650 Li-ion 3.7v 2600mah. The only reason I say the batteries is because it took about 8hrs for the fully charged indication light to come switch from red to green.

Doesnt sound like the battery to me. I have some 26650 king kongs that take forever to charge, though the charger is not that great and 26650s are quite a bit bigger than 18650s. I am guessing you have a hulk ultra? I am considering getting one of those, but it seems like DL might be cleaning out all their inventory, so I am a bit worried. They never seem to get anything back in stock once it is out. For instance, about six months ago they had a hulk ultra model with 600mW and supposedly peaking at a Watt (seems unlikely to fluctuate 400mW to me, but what do I know)

2 days should be within the warranty, contact frank. I am curious to see if you get this resolved. I sent my spartan back to them to be repaired. I sent it on March 18th and have not heard from them yet. I can tell you, when you send it to them, it's value will need to be listed as 25 dollars or less, or else Chinese customs will not let it through. I am not sure if you can insure a package for more than the declared value or not. It would be a shame to loose something so valuable in the mail. I did not get any kind of insurance on mine. I hope it turns out ok for both of us.

Update: I just got the email confirming DL received my spartan, so I didnt loose it in the mail.

Last edited:
Actually it sounds exactly like a battery issue to me.

Green lasers normally take a few seconds to reach full power, due to temperature of internal components etc. They are very sensitive to temperature.

But once they get going, they should keep going. If your laser takes a lot of time to peak, and it's fading out really fast and doesn't keep the power, it's either a battery issue, or defective laser.

And yeah, 8 hours is waay to long for 18650 battery. Through a few of DX chargers I've had, 18650s are usually done in less than one hour, only 26650 monsters take about 3 hours to charge up fully.

Do you have a second 18650 cell to try in the laser or maybe a flash light that can use your lasers 18650 cell to check it for it's capacity.

It's a good idea to have a back up cell and this is reason number one.

Last edited:
No unfortunately I do not. Would you recommend purchasing another one? If so, is there certain brand I should go for? Frank told me to try a brand called Tenergy. Is that ok? I want the best I can get dude lol.

You can rule out the drive system (driver/battery) by placing an ammeter where the cap would go, and monitoring changes in the current draw.