Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

? Laser noob, need help with laser buying please

ok, i live in California, USA. So i "Legally" cannot posses a hand held laser that is more powerfull than 5mw. But i've been reading through this wonderful forum and to my surprise, supposedly, some websites ship to the USA without any problems. I checked out 'o-like' which delivers to US, and am stuck between buying either the 200mw red laser pointer, or the 50mw green laser pointer.

I want a laser that is really cool looking and powerful, bright, and a solid beam.
and can the 200mw red turn off a street light?

I just want to get the best possible laser under 40 dollars that ships to USA.

Any tips on websites or the art of 'laser pointing' would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Grix

If you want to burn stuff, buy the 200mw red, if you want to have a bright beam, buy the 50mw green.

Hi.

When i started thinking about buying my first laser i had to make some similar decision.
I went for a 100+ mW green.
When you light this thing up you will feel like luke skywalker. You can't cut stuff like he does though.
Black tape, balloons (red, blue, black) will be no problem at some distance.

Green is fu****g bright. I own some red lab modules 200mW, they burn stuff pretty easy but the beam is only slightly visible.

Any questions.... feel free to ask.

-King

D

Deleted member 8382

Hi.

When i started thinking about buying my first laser i had to make some similar decision.
I went for a 100+ mW green.
When you light this thing up you will feel like luke skywalker. You can't cut stuff like he does though.
Black tape, balloons (red, blue, black) will be no problem at some distance.

Green is fu****g bright. I own some red lab modules 200mW, they burn stuff pretty easy but the beam is only slightly visible.

Any questions.... feel free to ask.

-King
Well answered.

For 40$, I'd first buy a dealextreme 50mW green pen. Save the other 20$ for the 200mW. If you get in the hobby, you will end up wanting to burn things ;)

Lasher

He is in the US so I don't think DX will ship to him but for your first green with a bright beam go with the Ledshoppe 50mw. For $25 bucks US you can't beat it.

Just my .02

Lasher

There are certain members (PM me for the name) that live in CANADA that will order for you & re-mail your laser to you in the USA.................rob

k, I just ordered the 50mw green from ledshoppe. Hopefully I get it by next friday! :)

well anyway, thanks dudes! Im pretty sure this laser will suffice untill I feel the need to shred rubber, in that case I'll have to upgrade. ;)

:thanks:

Welcome to the forum ! looks like you are on your way so get that wallet and ready :yh:

PeaceAll...

Just buy a green bright laser :) Burning is cool but you will get bored after a while. A green beam is the most awesome thing, especially in the night :)

Lasher

I hate to say it but if you just ordered it 2day it will not make it by next friday. It will be shipped from China and should take around 2 weeks to get to you give or take a day or so.

Lasher

Rob

I hate to say it but if you just ordered it 2day it will not make it by next friday. It will be shipped from China and should take around 2 weeks to get to you give or take a day or so.

Lasher

Yeah I feel your pain. Waiting for your laser's is the hardest part and shipping from China is never fast.

So does a 50mw green lazer show the full beam? but will not give of any heat or hurt your eyes.

Just I want to get into these but Don't want to get goggles just yet.

You SHOULD have bought goggles 1st, or at LEAST at the same time you bought your 1st laser. Go to the SAFETY section of the Forum, & read some of the stories from Members that have had close calls with losing their precious eyesight. I can't stress ENOUGH the importance of GOOD eye protection, I'd be willing to bet that most Members will agree with me......................rob PS, On the "ART" of laser pointing, go on the DX website & order a mini-tripod with a clamp that will fit it. This will hold your laser nice & steady for you while burning, taking pix,etc. On DX you can get a decent clamp & tripod for ~$10.00.

Last edited:
If I get a 30mw lazer still need goggles as I want to just get a green lazer but not hurt my eyse without spending loads on goggles as I would like to get a lazer then get goggles so I save cash.

Definitely yes, get goggles. Not only for protection from the Green you can see, but if the laser has no IR filter, you'll need protection from the invisible IR that spews out of cheap lasers along with the Green that you CAN see.