Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser module on prusa i3 wiring and usage help

Hello, i got a "2w laser module" from china, one like the one in the picture

the board its not the same, but has almost the same components an wires
Focusable-High-Power-2W-808nm-808-2w-laser-module-IR-beam-engraving-wood-burning.jpg

Mi idea was to make a cutter/engraver with it using it in place of the extruder, without changin firmware.

My current setup is wiring 12v to the extruder 2 (D9) and PWM it to get grayscale (M106 Sxxx). i have read that this is not the best way.

I also have a "TTL" conection to use.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

PWM won't work for engravers. Not unless the driver supports the input, and the vast majority do not. The response time is nearly instant, so you will get a perforated line instead of a reduced intensity line. PWM is especially bad if it is on the 12V input, as this will probably damage the PWM controller, or the laser diode.

You want to use TTL.

Grayscale is only possible with analog modulation. Your laser driver may or may not support that, but given that it is a switching driver (as indicated by the presence of an inductor), it is highly doubtful. Your CNC setup also may or may not be capable of analog modulation.

PWM won't work for engravers. Not unless the driver supports the input, and the vast majority do not. The response time is nearly instant, so you will get a perforated line instead of a reduced intensity line. PWM is especially bad if it is on the 12V input, as this will probably damage the PWM controller, or the laser diode.

You want to use TTL.

Grayscale is only possible with analog modulation. Your laser driver may or may not support that, but given that it is a switching driver (as indicated by the presence of an inductor), it is highly doubtful. Your CNC setup also may or may not be capable of analog modulation.

Thanks, So i rule out PWM and mi current setup.
Do you know how can i archieve analog modulation with RAMPs?

This are the driver specifications from the laser article Is this ok?

6,TTL:Yes,White cable at + and Blue cable at -;
7,TTL signal input 0~5V input.(0V OFF/5V ON)(TTL Modulation control the output beam OFF / ON )
(TTL Modulation: Make sure input TTL level PWM dightal signal)
8, Frequency for TTL control:0-20KHz;
9,Duty cycle:input 1%-100%;

I don't know much of anything about CNC/printer specs, so I can't help you there.

I can tell you that driver is not capable of analog modulation. You should have asked if the device would work with your setup BEFORE you bought it, eh? Live with full-on/full-off via TTL... or replace the laser/driver and get more familiar with your 3D printer's capabilities.

Im familiar with the printer, the new thing is laser =)

do you know any capable driver i could lookup as a replacement?