Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser made Ion Channels

I was wondering whether anyone here had experience with laser made Ion Channels.

I don't know whether this effect occurs because of a high electric flux or as a result of the photoelectric effect.

Would a Q-Switched CO2 laser do?
Or a free electron laser tuned to the correct frequncy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It is hard to find reliable data.

EDIT: Unjumbling two sentences.

Last edited:

Sorry for the delay. I was away and then a little busy.
When I was a kid, my dad told me a fictional story about a laser with a very complicated waveform that peaked every few centimetres, creating pockets of plasma.

I always thought it was an impossible dream until I read in a news article that a laser was being used to guide lightning, but very little data was given.

I believe some people have made plasma bursts using Q-Switched IR lasers (CO2?), and know that it takes 1 megajoule per cubic centimetre.

I'm curious as to whether one could attach a lense to the emitter which lowered the energy density and then move a second to produce localised plasma pockets. Unfortunately, this is somewhat out of my budget.

Either way, looking into this has reunited my childhood love of lasers. I've decided to make a little laser lab here and have already used and destroyed a 200 mw 660nm from DX.

Applied Energetics (formerly Ionatron) is the only company that I know of using lasers to guide lighting. I used to work on their laser systems..

I'm pretty certain that some universities have tested similar concepts in the past, but I'm not sure how much of that is active right now.

Yes and the idea of making a charged path to guide lightning and marx impulse generator discharges failed miserably.

-- charge density was not continuous enough to conduct the HV High current discharges