Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Lumia from Terrawatt Labs

Laser Lumia from Terrawatt Labs ~ A new Vector for the Spectrum

Gentlemen,

Some time ago, I discovered a new passion, that being the creation of Laser Lumia display. Laser Lumia is not a new concept.....as a matter of fact...Lumia was one of the first methods used to create the genera of "Laser Art"... But...as typical... my goal is to.......Generate Laser Lumia.....where no Lumia has gone before !!!

Lumia generation with Coherent light is about as opposite as one can get from my normal concentration....that being the forging and optical manipulation used to correct beam divergence and deliver the tightest, most Gaussian ( most round) beam possible.

So now....I enter into a new phase of coherent optical manipulation....from adaptation /correction of the beam....to that of being " Optical Uncorrected " !!! From straight line controlled beam propagation....to all things non-linear.

Laser Lumia is a wondrous area ! It is not constrained by the desire for: more raw optical power, least divergent beam geometry, Hand Held size considerations or portable power needs.

Basic Laser Lumia is passing one or more Laser beams...thru a rotating / moving media ( Glass, Acrylic or other )....and out the other end comes....a nebulous and wispy....veil of color(s)... moving very slowing... rotating and evolving, almost fractal like...shape changing sequence of non-linear organic patterns.

Laser Lumia is by its very nature...Non-Linear and Organic. The beautiful properties of Coherent light combined with down beam optical distortion. This distortion then producing a slow pattern projection...an unfolding of organic display. A visual feast of colour and shapes coupled with the purity of monochromatic light.

Lumia should be slow and smooth....sequentially unfolding !!...constantly changing....yet....remaining visually similar !!!

Combiners and Optically corrected builds will remain a interest for me ...and they will continue to occupy a portion of my threads ...but Laser Lumia is now my new passion...." Tormenting the beam(s)..into a new Photonic Dream "

As single minded as I have been with optical correction... I am now equally focused with the production of the most " Off the Wall" Laser Lumia possible. Those familiar with my work will surly anticipate a wild ride !!! Standby for some very interesting display.

CDBEAM :cool:

Terrawatt Labs Motto...
"A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual

Last edited:

Im excited to see.. i just bought a .5 rpm motor from servo city

ha that's badass. I was thinking on gearing it but then I guess that would make it a fixed speed. hmm I guess ill be going you route, for that's badass. What are you gonna use for a power supply?
Good lookin out. Ill rep ya if it lets me

great to hear about good motor prices.. the 1/3 rpms at Surplus Shed are cheap but STILL too fast and being AC no speed control or reverse--I found RPH ac motors and bought a 5 and a 4 iirc- but mucho $$$

Hankscraft .5 RPM are spendy too but DC so 3 to 12 vdc gets you more speeds and reverse which , so far, is not something that I need for Lumia.

lumia rocks BUT IN A s l o w way.

This is not a good attempt, but it's an amber pill bottle melting, I have gotten some pretty good sequences before though.

There are a lot of lumia efx like that- the dark greyish anti-static bags the devices come in- like motherboards etc
Melts and makes a nice fast reflected lumia- but those and melting ice, fountains of water, those jelly balls that suck up water-while all interesting and fun... but not practical and for most just too fast for long time watching. and need constant attention.
Best place we did lumia in a home was Austin Tx- the guy had a house with domed white ceiling over living room/dining room- area- just the right size for that 'planetarium' feel- but small..we put almost every PJ we had on and kicked back to the music..Casey had just finished his RGB DIY- has it running from his tablet wireless- his 'temp' housing is one of those Alumnim tool boxes at HarborFreight- not expensive - he had plans to later give it a proper enclosure.

Attachments

• The-wizard-of-Beam's Silence Whipper Snapper base.jpg
    The-wizard-of-Beam's Silence Whipper Snapper base.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 177
just ordered power supply and PWM motor controller. Me excited...
anyone know a good place for enclosures so I dont have to use a lunch box

just ordered power supply and PWM motor controller. Me excited...
anyone know a good place for enclosures so I don't use a lunch box

10f....I typically build a case around my projects.....1/8" Aluminum plate....many options...Clickamouse builds projectors into Beer Kegs and Vacuum cleaners....why not !!!

Lumia update......I am taking a side trip into the world of Audio Synthesis !!!
I will at some point be entraining a modified CV signal into the 0-5 VDC inputs of the LSP driver.

This means...combining music with the Lumia output....in a very modified, controlled/coupled way....The sound envelop must be modified to match the slow and smooth visual of Lumia output.

Sound Syntheses is a complete other world....and likely a " Money Sink Hole " larger than Lasers !!! Well....I am descending " Down the Rabbit Hole ".....But....I am receiving guidance....and this helps greatly....that...and reading, reading and reading....to slowly determine just how much there is yet to learn !

Results within the next 60 Days are projected !!:pop::pop::pop:

Beam out =======>

Last edited:
Found an old funky cast Aluminum manual 35mm slide projector= likely place lenticular lens where the slide goes.
Not certain if it will be Lumia or something else.
I have a number of not working stepper motor RG pjs- keeping only the enclosure,fan and switches. And moving the fan to the outside to allow more room inside and adding a removable air filter.
I have not given a lot of thought to controlling the Lumia to match the music except for the TTL and 7 combos of RG &B.
Could be easier to match the music to the Lumia .....

There used to be a guy here that went by the name divergence who joined LPF back in 2010 and had some nice stuff in his albums in multi-colors. I haven't heard from him since 2013. He called them digital lasers instead of Lumina. This just brought that back to my mind.

It is challenging to explain my end game....but...I will try.

There are thousands of electronic music selections available alone....not to mention the huge general music selection available, much of it just a few clicks away, and at very inexpensive cost.

My goal is to develop a Laser Lumia unit with audio processing ability. This unit will be shooting for both Synergy and Automation.

Let's consider the synergy of combining music with Laser Lumia. Music has the ability to generate an emotional response. Laser Lumia has the ability to mesmerize with organic non-linear display patterns. Couple music with Laser Lumia and I predict Synergy... and the result to be a most entertaining presentation on a multiple sensory level.

See Synergy definition here...http://www.bing.com/search?q=synerg...id=9945E9A392BC4C3C9AA319F4DDB60E6A&FORM=QBLH

Concerning the goal of Automation; A typical Laser projector show is built around a musical base. The show is programed...frame by frame....slowly.....so, the final outcome is a laser show which is linked to events within the musical score.

While I have done some rudimentary show compilation...it is...a slow process...and while the outcome is beautiful......I want a quick and good way to " automate " the process. I am now experimenting with a system which will...automatically link the Laser Lumia display to the audio material. SO....with no intervention, the Laser Lumia display will modulate per the audio events within the music score.

The challenge is now... how to link the audio output to the Laser Lumia display.

Well, we have two (2) basic choices (there are more, but these are the basic one's) to track the laser display intensity to the audio range;
1) Laser intensity tracks ===> Amplitude ( Volume )
2) Laser intensity tracks ===> Frequency ( Bass, mid range, treble ).

For my first sortie into this arena, I choose to link/track to amplitude. The challenge in this choice is how to average out the amplitude changes so as not to have rapid changes with Laser intensity. Some musical selections have rapid amplitude changes that do not match well with the slow cadence of the Laser Lumia display. Real time modification of the Sonic Envelope is demanded prior to connection to the analogue Laser drivers.

Now, place the above goals against the backdrop of generating completely novel Laser Lumia displays....that is where my " bar " is. Full Tilt !! Beep Beep... Enjoy the ride ! Beam out =======>:crackup:

Last edited:
Just a quick update...for you Lumia Lunatics....See pic and drawing of the Laser area on my latest experiment.

This area will be populated by a ;

Dual Oclarro 63193 at 635nm @ 1.6W
NUGM01T at 520nm @ 1.4W
NUBM07E at 470nm @ 4.5W

This arrangement will feed my Lumia machine....for a total of 7.5W....Before optics loss !!

Per the " Gate Keeper"...... ( Ghost Busters movie )

"Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!"....and....

Many photons will be "tortured" ...soon....I can tell you.

The Red LD Holders...are a design of mine specifically built to best centre the Oclarro LD's to the EFL2mm collimation lenses. The dual 63193 are knife edge combined.

Things are just set in place....no dichros, mirrors, just the start down the road.
I will likely not use the cylindrical lens correction unit (as shown in the pic)... since the Lumia disruptor discs basically and completely " un-correct " the beam line !!

The official nomenclature designation of this great experiment is LL- MLSG V1.......

which stands for.....

Laser Lumia - Multiple Level Sensory Generator !!!

Everything needs a name !!! :drool:

" Multiple Sensory " because....both audio and visual are generated.

CDBEAM=======>

Attachments

• LL-MLSG Laser area.jpg
    LL-MLSG Laser area.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Solar Prominence Laser Section 1to1 V4.JPG
    Solar Prominence Laser Section 1to1 V4.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited: