Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser lost brightness overnight

AksO

first, hi everyone.

My problem is something like this:

I left my laser perfectly working with his battery charged overnight...
when i woke up I was about to freak out my neighbours (don't judge me), and when i turned the laser on the beam was almost invisible, even in dark i couldn't see it... i don't know my laser's model or brand, i bought it a year or so ago from an online shop (njuskalo.hr).

i've recharged the battery again, no progress.. so, is the problem in my diode or what?

tip: if photos or a video needed, ask.

Sounds like you've killed the pump diode. 532nm modules are extremely delicate.. You literally have to treat them like there a baby of yours...

AksO

can you tell me is it reapairable, if it is where can i buy it, and how much will it cost?

EDIT: i want to know how much mW can i expect from this laser (knowing by the host and battery)... the seller claims it's 500mW...in my opinion it should be less than 100mW for the price (300kn = 60$)

zeleni-laser-200mw-dostupan-odmah-brza-dostav-24-sata-slika-7644502.jpg

Last edited:

Zeebit

That happens when you do something bad. Talk about freaking out your neighbors.

You know, you could get arreseted for doing that.

I am not giving any advice if you plan to use your laser for that kind of stuff. Sorry.

AksO

the police here is very tolerant about lasers, you can point krypton if you want to an airplane, thell think the range of laser is 500 meters, lol (i didn't do that, it's just a comparison)... they'll arrest you only if you screw them with a laser :D

and my laser couldn't blind anyone fast, i got a few short direct hits in the eye with it, rushed to ophtamologist and everything was fine...

I went a bit off-topic here :S

Last edited:
Eh, yeah, I don't think I want to help repair a laser that'll probably used for irresponsible purposes.

Zeebit

:banghead:
Still it is totally unsafe to do that even if the cops won't arrest you. That is very immature. Think about other people's safety.

AksO

omg, i don't think that the way I used the laser is important, i just want to repair it so i didn't throw my money in the wind. damn.

EDIT:
and can i get an answer to my question where i added the image?

Last edited:

Zeebit

No answers for you. It's a good thing you laser died so that people around you are now safer.

I felt the same way, as in disturbed by your actions. Why would you even want to risk blinding your neighbors? That would COMPLETELY RUIN your life. You might as well hit someone with a car. It's just as bad...
The reason lasers are Banned in Australia are for reasons like what you were saying you do/did with your laser.
You should wait until your 18 to get another laser when you realize how dangerous your actions are and then not part taking in those dangerous activities. Lawsuits are NOT fun and me and everyone else knows its very possible for you to get sued. No joke.

Not trying to be a dick, just being informative and attempting to knock some sense into you.

AksO

i understand that you guyz want to learn me some manner, but i dont even risk of getting them blinded, lol... i just "blink" with the laser in front of them when they are in their backyard (they dont even have a direct contact with the dot, and there is no reflection whichcan cause blindness to them)

i just want an answer man, so stop judging me :$

An exposure of 1/10th of a second of anything over 5mW can cause eye damage instantly. Just please dont be dumb. Be an adult. Lasers are not toys. They are for men. So be a man. And your on a forum. Everyone gets judged by what they say.

Anyways, sorry i cant be of more help. I'm not the best either electrically.

Last edited:

Zeebit

Call me a dick or whatever but please stop asking for the answer. You ain't getting one. Your purpose is just too stupid.

the police here is very tolerant about lasers, you can point krypton if you want to an airplane, thell think the range of laser is 500 meters, lol (i didn't do that, it's just a comparison)... they'll arrest you only if you screw them with a laser :D

and my laser couldn't blind anyone fast, i got a few short direct hits in the eye with it, rushed to ophtamologist and everything was fine...

:banned: NOT even remotely funny. You sound like you're someone who should NOT have a laser.:scowl: As a few members have pointed out a pointer with a greater than 5mW output CAN do instant irreparable eye damage.
Green lasers (DPSS variety) are even more dangerous as they are in the peak of our eyes sensitivity. Also they usually include a great deal of IR in the beam from the pump diode. That alone can do thermal damage to the retina. :scowl:
You and people like you will cost all of us our hobby!!
-1 to you!!

Last edited:

And you expect people here to HELP you? Who in their right mind is going to offer advice, let alone repair your laser that you have (and clearly plan to) use irresponsibly?

You stated price as in 300kn, kunas? You from Croatia?

Yeah I'll stand on the forum's side here since I have no interest in having the police called, laser related incident in the news and having my hobby banned out of my country.

And NO, you cannot generalize the police saying that they ALL don't give a crap about lasers being shone in public. A lot of them do, and will throw in a friendly advice or two to not do precisely what you are trying to do with it.

You can't tell me you think you can "freak out" somebody and expect them to forget it 5 seconds later. Real life isn't a comedy. You'll get called out and blamed, or worst case scenario described above, with authorities and media involved.

Regarding the technical details, your laser probably went dead from overcurrent, as in, laser was intentionally "overclocked" (or pot-modded as we call it) by the manufacturer, or any number of middle man re-sellers to have it appear brighter, at the cost if it "appearing" for an hour or two. Sounds like there isn't much you can do about it, if that is indeed the problem. Might be a dead battery, so grabbing a new one might help, but my money's on poor manufacturing quality.