Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LASER Lighter Meltdown Lightshow

Very nice vid and interesting effect. That shows up the interference wave pattern of the laser very well.

Good stuff ;D

Jase

Very nice:) destructive laser show....makes its own smoke.....it works for me :)

Regards rog8811

Benm

I've seen this effect with lasers melting plastics before - it looks very nice indeed!

Be a bit careful using lighters though, even if they seem empty there often is some gas left inside (it kinda absorbs onto the plastic at first). Not really a fire hazard, but might be surprising if you puncture it and it still takes off.

Btw, it also works well with plastics like the old canisters 35mm film came in - somewhere before the digital camera age ;)

Ok, first thanks for the replies everyone, and anyone who gave me a rating above 3! :)
Benm I just got done trying out a black filmcan, the interference patterns are there yet they do NOT animae as well as what you can see in the video, not even close! BUT! If i have it so its a small dispersion of the effect and I wait I start to see what look like bubbles floating upwards, they get more intense as I wait till the whole pattern is going, still its not as good as in the video
most of the clips in the video are showing neverending animation and require a fresh charge on the batteries, though it is more often an animation that goes to a certain point and bores you :(
People are saying the interference patterns are created by the smoke , which there is very little of with a lighter, can this be true?, I assume its a first reflection off the surface of the meltdown combining with the 2nd reflection of the inside of the melted part.

film cans smoke WAY more than a lighter does, never really notice smoke with a lighter except upon initial hitting of the surface - if even.

I have given it 5..(thanks for rating mine:))

I put a comment on yours telling peeps about LPF, if you don't want it there delete it....

Regards rog8811

mw1111

will the laser that im making from a seKat GB diode be able to do this? if so im using this for a halloween effect!

mw1111 said:
will the laser that im making from a seKat GB diode be able to do this? if so im using this for a halloween effect!
I dont know, I will know after I get my GB diodes myself, did you still want to buy a completed unit from me?

I let this sit before answering, nobody else is replying that they are able to acheive this effect.

Gazoo

mw1111 said:

It should easily be able to. But you might need to have the laser closer to the lighter. I believe since LaserCo is using an open can diode it is putting out more power and he is running more current into it than you would want to with a GB diode.
Nevertheless, the GB diode can do some awesome burning when powered with 250ma's.

BTW..LaserCo...nice effect.. :)