Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser gun

Ok, a linkback was posted to one of FlaminPyro's Focus Ring thread and I got alerted via email. Just wandered out to see who was checking stuff out, found it was all in Japanese, I was about to leave, when I saw a Youtube link.

‪CO2

Kinda neat, it has a guide laser that is visible red, then the IR laser that pokes the holes. He cracks a lightbulb and burns through a PCB board and a CD.

Not sure if this is the Co2 laser he is using, or not.

40W CO2 Laser Tube + Power Supply Cutting Engraving | eBay

Fenzir

Certainly very interesting to see such high powers in a somewhat hendheld laser like that! But it is probably very high power, easily over 10w. A dangerous laser indeed. Atleast he has a guide laser that is near where the actual burning happens

Whether he's under-powering it or just using a small tube, it's only ~10W.

As long as he's taking precautions and not selling it to the general public - cool.

Terrifying? Amusing is the emotion that came to mind when I saw the gun.

I wouldn't exactly classify that as terrifying. Considering you could buy a Ruger 10/22 and do a lot more damage for less money. I think you can pick up a Weatherby PA-208 shotgun from Cabelas for under $300.

For perspective, I recommend using a chainsaw. On a hill side, in the rain. On slippery logs. Miles from nowhere. For 10 hours a day. Or lobster fishing in 30 degree temps and 16 foot seas. Or even driving on the 405 during rush hour. Those will help set your expectations.

C02 is IR, but I think the safe power for any laser is 5mw, and not necessarily the wavelength of the light. The danger of IR is that is isn't visible so you don't have the blink reflex and damage can be done before you know it.

I would say this is not eye safe.

DrSid

That's not what I mean. Laser is dangerous primarily to the retina, the light sensitive part of the eye. And mostly because it focuses so well. Direct hit will get focused in the eye to tiny spot, and do some damage. Even indirect 'diffuse reflection' will be dangerous after some power.
But infrared deep enough will not get into eye. It will be stopped on the cornea. If it will be direct hit and beam strong enough, it will burn the cornea. But that is much easier to heal/replace then retina. And diffuse reflections should generally be no problem at all.
Question is .. is CO2 wavelength (which IIRC is somewhere around 10 micrometers) deep enough to be blocked by front side of the eye ?

ARG

I hate to see lasers being used as weapons... Gives the hobby a bad reputation.

I'm not qualified to answer that, really, but I googled and found this:

Sam's Laser FAQ - Carbon Dioxide Lasers

"Laser safety is something that must always be taken seriously. CO2 lasers are more dangerous in many ways but less of a hazard with respect to some. The combination of high output power and an invisible beam AND high voltage power supplies represent a very real possibility of fire/heat damage from the direct or reflected beam as well as a serious shock hazard. On the other hand, the 10.6 um wavelength doesn't pass through the cornea, lens, and vitreous of the eye to be focused on the retina. Therefore, damage to structures in the back of the eye is unlikely although the front can still be burned to a crisp!"

"Human flesh including the front parts of the eye are just as susceptible to the 10.6 um energy! Laser burns can be particularly nasty as you may not feel anything initially due to the instant death of nerves and cauterization of surrounding tissue. However, a few minutes later, it will hurt like H**l. The first evidence of exposure to the beam may be the wonderful aroma of burnt flesh - yours!"

"The beam is TOTALLY invisible. While the 10.6 um wavelength can't reach the back of the eye and the retina (unless the front part has been totally obliterated), the eye can still be permanently damaged since the transparent tissues like the cornea and lens are quite sensitive to increases in local temperature - and have limited or no ability to sense there is a problem until it is too late."

DrSid

Yeah, that answers my question .. that's what I mean 'eye safe' .. eye is not more sensitive to damage from such laser then skin. Of course it's harder to replace ..

Mo13

Terrifying? Amusing is the emotion that came to mind when I saw the gun.

I wouldn't exactly classify that as terrifying. Considering you could buy a Ruger 10/22 and do a lot more damage for less money. I think you can pick up a Weatherby PA-208 shotgun from Cabelas for under $300.

For perspective, I recommend using a chainsaw. On a hill side, in the rain. On slippery logs. Miles from nowhere. For 10 hours a day. Or lobster fishing in 30 degree temps and 16 foot seas. Or even driving on the 405 during rush hour. Those will help set your expectations.

Lol, that's all very true.