Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Goggles + Diffraction Gratings

I am looking to buy laser goggles (RGB preferred but must contain at least green)
Laser%20Goggles.jpg

I would also like to have some different diffraction gratings.

I can pay ASAP via PayPal

I have some diffraction sheets, 13,500line XY axis, 6"X10" size, easily trimmed with a decent pair of sharp scissors or razor knife.. PM me if interested

I've seen 3 patterns at least, the fan (line of dots), the matrix (grid of dots), the mandala (circle of dots). There are transmission and reflection grattings, Try this, (but be careful not to hit an eye), if you point a pointer into a CD, and move the dot around the disk, it reflects several dots which circle as the dot is moved a little like a solar system. -GH

Dragon Lasers had 4 high quality ones for $38 but I was looking for something cheaper

The difference is in the material they are made of, standard gratings are made of a flexible plastic (almost like a thin polycarbonate) while the higher-end ones are done with acrylic or in extreme cases (and price points) optical glass.

The main differences I've seen performance-wise are in transmissability (?) meaning the higher-quality gratings have less "loss" (that and the rigid gratings are better suited for permanent mounting and more exacting alignments when used for spectography, etc).

I have the dragon lasers gratings. They are good quality, I would recommend them but they screw you on shipping pretty bad. I think it cost like $20+ to get them shipped to the USA. But those where the only ones I found that were thick glass.

The difference is in the material they are made of, standard gratings are made of a flexible plastic (almost like a thin polycarbonate) while the higher-end ones are done with acrylic or in extreme cases (and price points) optical glass.

The main differences I've seen performance-wise are in transmissability (?) meaning the higher-quality gratings have less "loss" (that and the rigid gratings are better suited for permanent mounting and more exacting alignments when used for spectography, etc).

So what quality are your "sheets". PM me

I have the dragon lasers gratings. They are good quality, I would recommend them but they screw you on shipping pretty bad. I think it cost like $20+ to get them shipped to the USA. But those where the only ones I found that were thick glass.

Willing to sell? :D

I also found these on eBay. How do these compare to the DragonLaser one

Last edited:
The O-like ones are most likely optical glass (being acetone resistant) but thin (1mm) and really tiny (6mm square) ... These are the ones they design into the "diffraction pointer" heads, less than 1cm square so they're definitely good quality but at that size are prob a real pain to do a lot of experimenting with.

IIRC, the sheets I have are rated at 90% trans, so they're about 5% less efficient than these, I've noticed with the sheets too that the farther you go off axis (sheet needs to be perpendicular to the beam) the higher the loss.

The O-like ones are most likely optical glass (being acetone resistant) but thin (1mm) and really tiny (6mm square) ... These are the ones they design into the "diffraction pointer" heads, less than 1cm square so they're definitely good quality but at that size are prob a real pain to do a lot of experimenting with.

IIRC, the sheets I have are rated at 90% trans, so they're about 5% less efficient than these, I've noticed with the sheets too that the farther you go off axis (sheet needs to be perpendicular to the beam) the higher the loss.

What is the thickness of yours and how many different kinds do you have

Hey Brew City, I'd love to buy a sheet or two if you'd sell cheap. They cost so little if you buy in bulk, but individually I can't find them cheap. Well, I live in the US. PM me a fair price and I'll probably get it.

Also, I have some of those o-like gratings if you'd want to trade or something... just a suggestion.

They're not flimsy, they're glass. And they're definitely made better quality than sheets. However, the only downside is that they're small, very small. They're made to be permanently mounted and the end of an aperture cap or something on a laser pointer, not for playing around use.