Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Goggle Practice all the time?

Hello,

I have a few lower powered green lasers (under 200 mW). When I'm in the house blasting and burning stuff, I always wear some good quality Eagle Pair goggles. However, when I'm out shooting in the sky at night or blasting far away objects...I don't always wear my goggles...mainly because I want to see the green beam.

What is your policy for using low-medium powered lasers...especially outside?

I'm asking because I'm expecting a 800 mW 520nm laser pretty soon.

Never use goggles when outside, you need to see the beam. What country are you in? You should add your location to your profile. If you're in the US I wouldn't even use an 800mW 520nm outside, it will attract too much attention to your location from many miles away. Even from the ISS they would see a little green light down there. If you are within 10 miles of an airport or even point that just in the flight path of an aircraft you could find yourself in jail and with a fine you can never pay off in your lifetime, please be careful with that thing.

Alan

Outside you do not have to wear safety goggles but you have to be very careful not to hit anything that is reflective such as cars, metal, windows and so on. Of course you need to be vigilant as to where you are going to point the laser next such as you would a firearm.

Hello,

I have a few lower powered green lasers (under 200 mW). When I'm in the house blasting and burning stuff, I always wear some good quality Eagle Pair goggles. However, when I'm out shooting in the sky at night or blasting far away objects...I don't always wear my goggles...mainly because I want to see the green beam.

Nice! 800mw is gonna be really Bright! Enjoy and like everyone else has said be careful what you point at. I usually point at the sky but before I do I make sure there are no aircrafts around or near.